Locating information about a crew member of the Morro Castle

Lois J. Tynan

Nov 27, 2007
According to family lore, my deceased uncle, Robert Young, was reported to be a "busboy" on the Morro Castle on the night of the ship's demise. It's been said that he aided two young women, giving them his life jacket. All three survived the ordeal. Years after the event, he and the two women were interviewed in a newspaper, but no one in my family now living knows in which newspaper this article appeared. I would love to locate that article, but lengthy searches on the internet and in various news data bases have revealed no information.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hello, Lois: I will dig through my papers and see what I can turn up on Mr. Young. I believe that he garnered some press attention in 1934. From the crew list, on file at the SUNY Maritime's Luce Library, I can tell you that he was listed as:

Young, Robert. 18. Bellboy. 105-13 109th Street, Ozone Park NY.

on the manifest. The Luce Library has transcripts of the testimony of all the crew members who spoke at the hearings, and I have Mr Young's 1934 FBI deposition on order through the FoIA, so I can shortly be of more help to you.

Are you in the NY area? I ask because the Long Island Room at the Jamaica Public Library has not only the 1934 Queens papers in which he appeared, but also the other papers clear through the present. Twould take a MASSIVE amount of digging, but if Mr. Young remained in Queens, one would have to read EVERY Sept. 8th/9th issue of Newsday (the fire anniversary), for I suspect that is where and when the article would have run. If you have a rough uidea of when he was interviewed, that will of course reduce the search.

All the best,
Jim

Lois J. Tynan

Nov 27, 2007
Jim,
I am staggered by the information you already have garnered about my uncle, Robert Young! My aunt told me that she thought the article on my uncle came out in the late 1950's or early 60's. Perhaps 1959 would be a likely year for the article to have been written since it would have been the 25th anniversary of the disaster.

I am not in the NY area, but my sister lives on Long Island, NY. Perhaps a field trip to the Jamaica Public Library is in order. Where is SUNY Maritime's Luce Library located?

Thank you SO much for your help!
Lois

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hi, Lois!

I'm bogged down under Christmas details, but will dig through my papers as time permits.

>Where is SUNY Maritime's Luce Library located?

DIRECTLY under the Bronx end of the Throgs Neck Bridge. Next time I go there, I shall check the testimony for you: he mightn't have been called, and if he wasn't, that will save you a trip!

Captain Bob

Jan 29, 2017
Morro Castle
The guy who talked hypothermia for the disaster for people in the water failed to
Realise it was September 9 and the water temp average is around 72, not the number he posted. Yes, you can get hypothermia in that water perhaps in 2 hrs or more ! So he vould be correct depending on the kength of time and if your head is out of thr water!
Water warm off Jersey coast in early
Sept.