Looking for a few good books (Historical Maritime Mysteries)

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Greetings, guys. Recently I've been spending some of my work time (bad behavior) perusing Wikipedia's list of vanished ships, and I've pretty much exhausted my google-fu.

I'm curious if anyone has any book recommendations on long standing Maritime mysteries? Anything will do. Missing ships are great, but it could be on anything involving ships on the sea where the truth of the historical events are not well understood.

It doesn't matter if its peace-time or war related. Really. I'm desperate. :)

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Scott,

Have you looked into the HMAS Sydney? Obviously i'm biased because i'm Australian, but I think it might be of some interest to you - especially given its discovery within the last decade.

Cheers,
Adam.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Well, if you're digging voluminous reading on the Titanic, there's the official British and American government investigations into the sinking:

TIP | United States Senate Inquiry
Believe me, I've toyed in my spare time with attempting to join the other esteemed Titanic Historians here; so I'm quite familiar with the Titanic testimony, including the limited liability testimony. :D

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Hi Scott,

Have you looked into the HMAS Sydney? Obviously i'm biased because i'm Australian, but I think it might be of some interest to you - especially given its discovery within the last decade.

Cheers,
Adam.
I am familiar with HMAS Sydney! Well, as familiar as I can be by looking at what's available on the internet. Do you have any specific book recommendations? It is quite interesting in the annuls of war in that it is the only case you'll probably ever find of a light cruiser being sunk by an armed merchant raider. And of course, because she "survived" the battle only to founder later, and all of the testimony is one sided since none of the sailors on HMAS Sydney survived.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Scott,

I've followed the story of the HMAS Sydney through Australian news and documentaries so I can't recommend any specific books, but i'd suggest that if you can get on Amazon or somewhere and find something recent (i.e. since the discovery of the wreck) then that would be the way to go. It is a very interesting case, perhaps overshadowed a little by more famous wartime sinkings such as Bismarck, but certainly well remembered here in Australia.

Cheers,
Adam.