Looking for a historical TitanicFlorida connection

Bob Mervine

Aug 22, 2007
Are there any connections between the Titanic and the state of Florida other than the obvious relocations and deaths of survivors here?

I am also not including the Florida and St. Petesburg attraction and exhibit and the fact that Michael Harris and his part of the RMS Titanic busines is based here.

I would appreciate any thoughts or insight. Thank you.

Bob Mervine

W

William H Draeger

Hi Bob,
There was a Florida connection that wasn't made. The ill-fated Sage family was relocating from England to a fruit orchard in Jacksonville.
Bill

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Bob!

Check out the ET biographies of second class passengers Ada Ball and Rev. Robert Bateman -- they were both headed for Florida.

All my best,

George

W

William H Draeger

Hello Mr. Behe,
You don't know what a pleasure it is to communicate with you, sir! I have your "Psychic phenomenon" book and "Safety, Speed and Sacrifice". Excellent research! Is your address in the latter book still current?
Respectfully
Bill

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Bill! (and please call me George.)

It's nice to 'meet' you too, old chap. I've been enjoying your postings here on the bulletin board and hope you'll keep them coming. :)

To answer your question, yes, my address is still the same.

By the way, if you'd care to send me your snail mail address privately I'd be pleased to send you a couple of handwritten inscriptions that you could fasten inside the covers of the two books. (The same offer goes for anyone else who might have purchased copies of my books; it's my paltry way of trying to make amends for swindling unsuspecting Titanic buffs out of their hard-earned money.) :)

All my best,

George

Bob Mervine

Aug 22, 2007
The Bateman story is particularly appealing. There was also a brother and sister traveling in 3rd class from Lebanon to Jacksonville who survived. Their names, Jamila Nicola-Yarred and Elias Nicola-Yarred were changed to Amelia and Louis Nicholas Garrett. Garrett became a Jehovah's Witness and tells an interesting story about returning to his homeland by air and becoming quite distraught as the aircraft flew new the site.

The Bateman/ Ada Ball story is probably the best passenger story I have found. There are a half dozen others with minor Florida connections. I believe Astor's young wife spent a lot of time in Palm Beach and died there.

I wonder if there any anecdotes involving the crew or with certain items being shipped that were destined for Florida.

Bob

Reactions: 1 user

Bob Mervine

Aug 22, 2007
Curiously the Sage family information is not included on the Encyclopedia Titanica site. I did find this reference in another location.

" The John Sage family residents of Peterborough, England were Third Class passengers aboard the Titanic. Like the Goodwin family mentioned above, the Sages were on their way to a new home and a new life. John and Annie Sage were headed to a newly purchased fruit farm in Jacksonville, Florida. They brought their nine children with them and all eleven members died that early morning of April 15, 1912. John Sage was 50 years of age. Annie and John had five boys and four girls-Stella, Ada (a child), George, Douglas, Dorothy, Frederick, William (the baby), Constance (a child), and Thomas (a child).

Many members of White Star line had testified at both the U.S. and British Inquiries that the language barrier kept most Third Class passengers from leaving the steerage area and getting to the boat deck. However, the Sages along with the Goodwins were English citizens and spoke English. One can hardly believe that the Goodwins along with the Sages and their nine children were not aware of the peril on board the Titanic. "

I can't provide a source for the information or the accompanying photograph except that it was posted by Garth W. Wangemann at >> http://www.execpc.com/~reva/html3c5.htm << on a page titled the Unsung Heroes of the Titanic. I have asked Mr. Wangmann for his sources.

Another vague, tantalyzing one regards Margaret Brown's escape from a fire at the Breakers hotel in Palm beach March 18, 1925.

Appreciate any other leads that surface.

Bob Mervine

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi George, I'll have to send you my address should Amazon.com ever cough up the copy of Safety, Speed and Sacrifice I ordered. I may be running to your publisher yet if these people keep dragging their feet much longer.(Grrrrrrr...)

I did pick up a few gems at Barnes and Noble today. One is The Only Way To Cross by John Maxtone-Graham, and a couple of pictorial books on transatlantic liners by William H. Miller which are very well done.

FWIW, I don't think your book is going to be a waste of money. I'm still hoping you'll write another one in the near future.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Re: Florida
Supposedly Rosa ( Rhoda ) Abbott remarried and moved to Florida and then disappeared. Yet another case for our detective Phil Gowan.

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
She's on my shortlist--but the surname Williams doesn't make it easy. She is NOT the Rosa Williams born November 7, 1875 who died in Georgia in 1967 after living for many years in South Carolina. And she also is not (as has been alleged) the woman who married Dr. Bruce Tinker in Lake Wales, Florida. But there are some good clues to follow. This one, while tough, is findable--hopefully I'll have some luck in the next 12 months and bring it home.

Calvin Sun

Oct 3, 2005
I believe that Frederic Spedden (who was portrayed by Don Lynch in the 1997 Cameron move) died of a heart attack in a Florida swimming pool in 1947. I read this information from Marschall and Lynch in TAIH.

Mar 3, 1998
In answer to the original question about a Titanic/Florida connection, I have the following theory:

For years, both lawyers at the two inquiries and Titanic historians have reviewed every statistic regarding the late great ship. We know that the ship sailed with 2224 men, women and children aboard. However, there has always been an ongoing controversy over the exact number saved and therefore, the total number of souls lost.

I recently came across information that throws light on this controversy. The numbers were tallied for the Senate Inquiry by Florida state officials working for Senator Smith. Unfortunately, those results were challenged by Smith's Democratic rival and the resultant legal challenge has been held up in the Florida appeals process for the past 88 years. At issue were those passengers who were hanging off the side of the lifeboats and not physically seated in a lifeboat seat. There was also the issue of having all those atop Collapsible B disqualified from the final tally, because the boat, being inverted in the water, did not legally qualify as a "lifeboat" under Florida statutes. The BOT Enquiry acted only on the numbers it could distill from the London dailies, which in turn got their information from whatever Guglielmo Marconi (who received support from the American Democratic Party during the course of the Senate inquiry) instructed his service to provide.

At any rate, it appears that the appeals process has finally been exhausted and despite an earlier certification by the Florida Secretary of State (published in "A Night to Remember"), the final count of those saved aboard Carpathia will be given a final certification by 12 December. That is, unless Pelligrino appeals to the Federal high court.

Parks

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
ROTFL! I love it! Sparks, those sea trials have gotten to you. Catch up on all that lost sleep shipmate.
happy.gif

Oh bother, now Leslie Harrison is stepping in with something about dimpled navigation fixes for the Californian and the Big T. (Ha ha)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 2, 2000
Parks! That is the funniest!
And you thought you could go to sea, come back and it'd all be over. Ha! It is to laugh!

Dimples!