Looking for Digital Copies of British Newspapers

Aug 27, 2007
I was wondering if somebody could tell me if the newspapers The Daily Sketch & The Daily Graphic have an online archive of their newspapers from april and may 1912. I saw some of the articles and pictures in a Titanic book I own, and would like to get my own copies of them for a project I am working on.

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I don't know of any digital archives for the newspapers you referred to but I do know of a couple of books that you might find helpful. They are:

Extra Titanic: The Story of the Disaster in the Newspapers of the Day. by Caren, Eric & Steve Goldman

The Titanic Disaster as Reported in the British National Press April - July 1912. by Bryceson, Dave.

Both are compilations of newspaper articles from various sources.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
A recent addition is TITANIC: One Newspaper, Seven Days, and the Truth That Shocked the World, collected by Stephen Hines. This a collection from The Daily Telegraph. Read my review on titanic-titanic.

Some British papers have online archives but at least some are subscription only. You can get articles from The Times free via certain public libraries. It might pay to google around as the picture is always changing. For instance, there are dozens of Australian papers of the period online, plus many of the more minor US papers.

Aug 27, 2007
It was "The Titanic Disaster as Reported in the British National Press" book that I saw all the great images and articles of the ship’s crew and passengers in which a lot of them I had never seen before. Which thanks to some of the information you gave me I was able to find a pay archive for the Daily Mirror which I think will be just as good if not better than the Daily Graphic newspapers.