Looking for information on Ellen Shine Irish survivor

D

Darina

I am just starting on my reasearch of Ellen Shine. She was the grand aunt of one of my closet friends. She was origionally from Botharboy Co Cork and survived Titanic. She never spoke of her experience on Titanic and it was only on her death bed that her secret finaaly came to light. Unfortunatly none of her family were present at the time and the nurses thought she was just rambling so her story was lost. She died in 1993 and it is only now that we are trying to trace her story. If anyone has any information or can help in any way we would be most gratful

thank-you Darina from Ireland

Mar 10, 1998
Darina,
Actually Ellen did talk about her experiences to some extent to her family but you are right that she became something of a chatterbox when she was in the nursing facility in her later life. She married John Callaghan who died in 1976 and they had two daughters. Julia never married but Mary married and had two daughters of her own. Both of Ellen's children predeceased her and her two granddaughters were her only survivors. One of the granddaughters is in some way involved in law enforcement in New York City and had a role in the tracking down of the guy that murdered Versace a few years ago.

There is good biographical information on Ellen in Senan Molony's book "The Irish Aboard Titanic" which you may still be able to obtain from an Irish bookstore or one of the on-line bookstores.

Hope this helps!
Phillip Gowan

D

Darina

thanks Phillip for your help. You seem to know a bit about Ellen. I am researching on behalf of her family in Cork as they have very little information about her. Do you haveany other information about her or know where I might coninue my reasearch? I did know about the book "The Irish aboard Titanic" and I will order from a book shop in the New Year.

Mar 10, 1998
Darina,
If you want to send me your regular mailing address I'll be glad to pass it along to Ellen's granddaughter in New York City. I corresponded with her back when I was doing some of the stateside research for Senan's book. There is another granddaughter in Connecticut but neither have children so Ellen's line of descent will end with them. If you want to send me your address privately, my e-mail is: [email protected]

Have a great and safe New Year's.
Phillip