Looking for someone to help me with my titanic questions

Sara S

Hello,

I am new to this site and am looking for a person that has lots of profound knowledge about titanics officers', Murdoch, Moody and Lightoller in particular. Of course the internet has already many sources open to gain knowledge, but there are many questions that are left unanswered for me and I have encountered certain limits when it comes to the private lives of the officers. Since I know there are many people on this forum that have contacted the officers families and gained information that are generally unavailable to the basic google search, I have strong hope someone would like to help me out with my questions.

If there is anyone willing to contact me in private and read my questions, I would be very grateful

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: 1 users

Seumas

Head over to Dan Parkes website and send him an e-mail. He is the top expert when it comes to the lives of Murdoch and Wilde.

I don't know if Inger Shiel's e-mail is listed anywhere but if you can find a way to contact her then you are in good hands. She is the number one expert on the lives of Lowe and Moody.

Try not to get your hopes up about contacting any Titanic officers modern day relatives. Most of them strongly value their privacy and some of them (particularly Murdoch's) do understandably get rather fed up with questions about the Titanic.

Reactions: 2 users

Sara S

Head over to Dan Parkes website and send him an e-mail. He is the top expert when it comes to the lives of Murdoch and Wilde.

I don't know if Inger Shiel's e-mail is listed anywhere but if you can find a way to contact her then you are in good hands. She is the number one expert on the lives of Lowe and Moody.

Try not to get your hopes up about contacting any Titanic officers modern day relatives. Most of them strongly value their privacy and some of them (particularly Murdoch's) do understandably get rather fed up with questions about the Titanic.
Thank you very much for the response. I recently joined the Titanica Facebook group but have been too shy to contact one of its members directly. If Dan Parkes allows for messages to be sent to him, I will contact him trying not too appear obtrusive. I already contacted Inger Sheil a few weeks ago, she even responded to me which I was really grateful for, but sadly maintaining contact was hard and I did not want to spam her further when I saw that her responses did not follow anymore (which I dont blame her for) :)

I did not plan to contact any Titanic officers modern day relatives, but maybe to get information from those that maybe are or were in touch with them. Well, I am just very curious and restless, but most users probably feel like that

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Seumas

Dan Parkes is a good bloke and he should be able to help you out. His knowledge about Murdoch is immense.

As I understand it Murdoch's modern day relatives found the aftermath of the 97' film to be particularly bruising and are now very wary of people contacting them. For example they had idiots asking them if they were "hiding anything" regarding the manner of Murdoch's death and stuff like that. It was all very insensitive.

I know that in the past Inger Shiel has said she sometimes gets overwhelmed with requests for research help and often has to say "no" to a lot of people.

She has written a great biography of Lowe that is still in print and which I would recommend.

Hello,

I am new to this site and am looking for a person that has lots of profound knowledge about titanics officers', Murdoch, Moody and Lightoller in particular. Of course the internet has already many sources open to gain knowledge, but there are many questions that are left unanswered for me and I have encountered certain limits when it comes to the private lives of the officers. Since I know there are many people on this forum that have contacted the officers families and gained information that are generally unavailable to the basic google search, I have strong hope someone would like to help me out with my questions.

If there is anyone willing to contact me in private and read my questions, I would be very grateful

Thank you in advance.

Hello, I can help you with questions if you need me to even though I don't know every thing on the subject I would still like to help.

Sara S

Hello, I can help you with questions if you need me to even though I don't know every thing on the subject I would still like to help.
Hello,
thank you very much, I might eventually ask you a few questions if you don't mind! Maybe I'll send you a pn if there is need:) Thank you in advance.

Dan Coghlan

Titanic Historian - 9 Years
Hi,

My personal focus point of my Titanic research is the Officers, so feel free to ask me anything as well.

DC

Hello, maybe I come late, but did you know that you can buy the book "Titanic and other ships" written by Lightoller (which I did) but even if it was very interesting in details, Lightoller had his own way of written that is sometimes... hard to follow if I may say so. But if you are passionate as I do, you'll appreciate it. There is also a web site about Murdoch (my favorite officer, unlike Lightoller for I think that if he had been removed from the equation, there'd be less victims, but it is my point of view :) ) "William Murdoch Death and Mystery" (rename "Titanic officers" lately. Articles are searched and well done. And finally I advise you the book "A sea of Glass" by Fitch, Layton et al. (some of them are here on Titanica) that helps us to know the officers better. As exemple, for my part they started convincing me that the real gentleman that shoot himself was Wilde and the interview done with the great grand child of Wild finished the job. Moreover, in the appendix (from A to R) of "Sea of Glass" they shed light on some mysteries. I am enclosing here a picture of the table of contents on to which I put the name of the concerned officer just beside the title. I recommend that book to you : it became my "bible" and is always at 2 steps away from me at any time when I am home and I am referring it so often. There is some hints about Lightoller, his wife and her grand-daughter in Paul Lee's "Indifferent Stranger". It is interesting and reinforced my view on him -- so if you like him, better not read, however, I think that the author is pretty honest and objective in his remarks.
And I almost forgot to say some words about the Commission of Inquiry. I am in the British one since 5 years every single day (translating it in French) and I read and read the testimonies of 4 surviving officer (took notes ; analyzed them ; wrote about it...) so if you have any questions about it, I will be happy to help :). I am on Lightoller now.
If you have questions and want to ask them on private, please don't hesitate.

Hope it helps ! Take Care, Kareen
IMG_1247.jpg

Sara S

Hello, maybe I come late, but did you know that you can buy the book "Titanic and other ships" written by Lightoller (which I did) but even if it was very interesting in details, Lightoller had his own way of written that is sometimes... hard to follow if I may say so. But if you are passionate as I do, you'll appreciate it. There is also a web site about Murdoch (my favorite officer, unlike Lightoller for I think that if he had been removed from the equation, there'd be less victims, but it is my point of view :) ) "William Murdoch Death and Mystery" (rename "Titanic officers" lately. Articles are searched and well done. And finally I advise you the book "A sea of Glass" by Fitch, Layton et al. (some of them are here on Titanica) that helps us to know the officers better. As exemple, for my part they started convincing me that the real gentleman that shoot himself was Wilde and the interview done with the great grand child of Wild finished the job. Moreover, in the appendix (from A to R) of "Sea of Glass" they shed light on some mysteries. I am enclosing here a picture of the table of contents on to which I put the name of the concerned officer just beside the title. I recommend that book to you : it became my "bible" and is always at 2 steps away from me at any time when I am home and I am referring it so often. There is some hints about Lightoller, his wife and her grand-daughter in Paul Lee's "Indifferent Stranger". It is interesting and reinforced my view on him -- so if you like him, better not read, however, I think that the author is pretty honest and objective in his remarks.
And I almost forgot to say some words about the Commission of Inquiry. I am in the British one since 5 years every single day (translating it in French) and I read and read the testimonies of 4 surviving officer (took notes ; analyzed them ; wrote about it...) so if you have any questions about it, I will be happy to help :). I am on Lightoller now.
If you have questions and want to ask them on private, please don't hesitate.

Hope it helps ! Take Care, KareenView attachment 78032
Wow thank you so much for the insightful reply!
I am currently doing my own humble researches but I really hope to purchase one of these books. It's just that being a student I have some financial limits and cannot spend on these kind of books much haha. But I would definetly want to buy Lightollers book. The fact that it was written by him has an entire different feeling to it, as if I'm listening to his spoken words directed at me from the past.:)

Take care, Susi

Lightroller book: Titanic and Other Ships. Amazon £8.99 free delivery before Christmas UK
A nice little Christmas stocking present from someone to give you!

Seumas

A word of caution regarding Lightoller's book.

There are several statements he makes in it regarding the Titanic (particularly with regard to the receipt of the ice warnings) that historians today find hard to believe.

as if I'm listening to his spoken words directed at me from the past.:)
That remembers me to give you that link : I think you'll like to listen to it. He will talked to you from the past ;-)

Lightoller lied in his testimony, and get all mixed with his own lied in the British Inquiry : I noticed it when I read it over the other day. If you want to read that :

And I would finish this post with an advice : if your loves ones don't know what to give you for Christmas, ask them the Lightoller's book. If you have an account with Apple you can go to the Itunes Store and buy an electronic copy of Lightoller's book : it is cheaper. For me it was less than 20$ CDN (15$ US ; 12£ ; 14€) and you don't have the postal fees. If you don't have an Apple account, maybe you can check on Google play or the electronic bookshop of which you have access.
Have a Merry Christmas ;-)