Looking for structural information on Titanic

Jason Vellios

Sep 7, 2007
Hi all,

Obviously, I'm new here, so I'll get straight to the point. I'm trying to write a novel which, for all intensive purposes, is set on a ship practically identical to the Titanic. I've decided to use the Titanic, at least, as a model for this ship, and I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some very basic information about the ship at large.

For example, I'd gotten one page into the novel and realised that I don't know what kind of railings the ship used, what it was made of, or how high it was. Just basic things like that: what kind of wood was the deck made out of, how many lights were there in the rooms, etc. It doesn't seem very important at first, but I'm at a complete loss without it.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Jason Vellios.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
If you can get your hands on a copy of The Shipbuilder special on the Olympic class, that's about as good as it gets. If you can afford to wait a few months until publication, "Titanic, The Ship Magnificent" by Bruce Beveridge, Scott Andrews, Steve Hall, Daniel Klistorner, and Art Braunshweiger promises to be as close to The Bible on the subject as you can get.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Michael, thanks for the kind comments about the book. The publisher has started on the editing and formatting process for the book. So it's shaping up well for December release in the UK.
They have changed the ISBN number because of the sheer size of the book. So it's a 50/50 bet now on either a single huge book, or a two volume set.
Bruce posted a message on the TTSM board about the book.
http://titanic-theshipmagnificent.com/discus/messages/27/28.html?1189245352

Steve