Loss of the SS Laurentic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan Clarke

Feb 27, 2002
Many of you might already know this. The White Star liner Laurentic was turned into an Armed Merchant Cruiser during World War II. On the night of November 3, 1940, she was torpedoed and sunk by U-99, commanded by the late Otto Kretschmer. My father was serving on the AMC, HMS Patroclus (of the Blue Funnel Line), which tried to rescue the Laurentic's survivors, as well as the men from the SS Cassanare which U-99 had sunk earlier that night. Alas, the Patroclus was also torpedoed and sunk when it arrived on the scene. My dad survived by swimming to a carley float. It was one very bad night for those poor fellows. Dad told me it was mighty cold in the waters off Bloody Point on the northern tip of Ireland.
Allan

Allan Clarke

Feb 27, 2002
Mark: Thank you very much for this. I have never seen a "proper" image of the Patroclus. I do have a photo taken of a painting of the ship done by a sailor named Hayward, while she was in the Med in 1940. The painting belonged to one of the survivors, Mr.Alf Barnes, who was a good friend of my father. Evidently, Mr. Hayward did several of these because I have seen it on the web site of the son of another Patroclus survivor.
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.