Lost and Unlisted Servants

Phil Strong

Sep 26, 2005
An ancestor of mine (Kate Strong) was apparently a Ladies Maid and was lost with the ship. However, try as I might, I cannot find her listed amongst the servants. Are the 43 servants names on this site the complete list ?. It's just possible she had got married and therefore her surname was different but there isn't even a Kate listed as a maid. There are clearly some experts amongst you who might just know how many servants there were and what % are unknown.
many thanks
Phil Strong

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Phil,

All of the servants are listed and all of the maids travelling in 1st Class with their employers were saved. A check of the Passenger List which has been fully researched proves that there was no one named Kate Strong [or nee Strong] on the Titanic.

On what are you basing your claim that she was a passenger and was lost? Do you know when and whereabouts she was last known to have been.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Hi Phil - tons of people log on asking about relatives who family legend says were on the ship. 99.9% of the time, no such people were aboard.

My guess would be that, where there is any truth to the story, there is either a mistake about the person's name or the person was in a different shipwreck. Remember that this was only a short time before WWI, when scores of ships went down. It's pretty well documented that no female personal servants of Titanic passengers were lost, and we can trust the exhaustive research on this subject. There were three stewardesses lost, one of whom (Katherine Walsh) might have been a Kate.

Good luck in your search!
-Brian Ahern

Phil Strong

Sep 26, 2005
Does anyone know if the list of servants is complete ? or how many people were lost who's names are not known. I'm looking for a direct relative but cannot find her. If not is there a full list published anywhere. Have posted before but haven't got an answer, perhaps know one knows ?

Phil Strong

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks for your replies, sorry not to have noticed earlier, but I thought it would come through by email. I can imagine that there would be alot of legends without substance. There is no mistake about the name Kate (who's maiden name was Strong), and she was a ladies maid working down the south of England. It is possible she was a passenger rather than a servant. If you are sure the lists you have are complete I'll have to go away and do some more research. The information came from Kate's brother, some of his children are still alive and clearly remember being told this but I take your point.

regards
Phil

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>If you are sure the lists you have are complete I'll have to go away and do some more research.<<

The lists are as complete as any extant source material will allow, and a lot of researchers have gone over that material with a fine toothed comb. In light of just how strict certain immigration and customs laws were, a ship found with passengers and crew that were not listed would have a lot of explaining to do to the authorities. Considering how unpleasant that conversation would be...and the handcuffs wouldn't be too comfortable...the officers and crew of a ship entering and leaving U.S. and U.K. ports had a substantial incentive to get it right.

If you wish to understand the problems that researchers have faced and overcome, I can think of no better book then WHO SAILED ON TITANIC? : The Definitive Passenger List by Debbie Beavis. You can get a copy from Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/071102880X/qid=1129523555/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7991750-3115225?v=glance&s=books

Phil Strong

Sep 26, 2005
With reference to the passenger deaths:
Are the deaths of the british citizens recorded in the GRO index of births deaths and marriages as they would have been if they had died in the UK ?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
No, but there is a separate Register of Deceased Passengers, as reported to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen. This includes details for people of any nationality lost on British ships. The information recorded includes the last known position of the vessel as well as the usual info like date, age, occupation, nationality, last known address, and cause of death - which is always 'Supposed Drowned'. From this we learn for instance that Thomas Andrews was an Irish shipbuilder (age unrecorded) and his last address was simply 'Harland & Wolff, Belfast'.