Lost Liners on PBS

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Thanks Jason and Paul for the recommendation. I purchased this book for £8 and was astonished when I saw on Amazon today that there are currently two second-hand books with the same ISBN number offered for sale at £45 and £76 respectively. Needless to say I am feeling quite pleased.

Regards Ernie

Mindy Deckard

Aug 29, 2005
I don't know if this has been brought up yet but there is a book out that has some terrific Ken Marschall paintings and old pictures of many of the infamous ships of the past (Titanic, Britannic, Empress of Ireland, Andrea Doria, Lusitania, and the Republic to name a few).

It is called "Lost Liners" and it is written in the same style as "Titanic, An Illustrated History" Bob Ballard and Ken Marschall team up.

Just an FYI!

Mindy Deckard

Aug 29, 2005
Sorry, I didn't see the post!

This book is well worth it though...if you can get it. For some reason you can't order them through Walden Books or Barnes and Noble.

I ended up getting a used copy (although it really does look like new) for $50.00. The new editions of this book can be as high as $177.00 (amazon.com, froogle.com)

And as I said earlier, it is really the "sister" book to "Titanic, An Illustrated History." They are remarkably similar.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
No worries, Mindy.

I agree that both books are similar in style. Plus, they compliment each other. Also, "Ghost Liners" is pretty much the same as "Lost Liners", as it's the younger reader's version.

Nov 12, 2000
Dr. Ballard's latest book, however, The Lost Ships of Robert Ballard is for the most part an expanded edition of Lost Liners.

Much of the later book is reprinted from the earlier work, with new chapters on ships he explored after Lost Liners was printed, including the Bismarck, the ships sunk at Guadalcanal and the battle of Midway.

I am uncertain if any of the first book's chapters were updated for this new book, nor not.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mike,

I bought that book a few months ago and I agree, it is the larger edition of Lost Liners. The only reason I bought it was for the new chapters. I'm not sure if the first chapters are updated or not, as I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Mindy Deckard

Aug 29, 2005
>>Dr. Ballard's latest book, however, The Lost Ships of Robert Ballard is for the most part an expanded edition of Lost Liners.

Much of the later book is reprinted from the earlier work, with new chapters on ships he explored after Lost Liners was printed, including the Bismarck, the ships sunk at Guadalcanal and the battle of Midway.

I am uncertain if any of the first book's chapters were updated for this new book, nor not.>>

DON'T make the same mistake I did and buy both. The other social studies teacher and I did a 1 to 1 comparison of the two books and they are almost carbon copies of each other, save the chapter on the Bismarck.

The only difference is that there are some new pictures, some pictures the writers have shrunken, and some they have expanded. Case in point, the picture of the stateroom on the Queen Mary is now a full page.

Laura Jay

Dec 3, 2012
New England, USA
Lost Liners is one of the best books you could ever have. I love it and it's been a decade now since I got it for my birthday. Beautiful photos and paintings too.

Dec 23, 2017
Thought id let people know that a while back i uploaded a fairly rare doc in my collection (At the very least i have a hard time finding it in the wild) Its the last time Bob Ballard dives on "lost liners" this being the Empress Of Ireland, he also talks about Titanic & Lusitania. Also shows a great interview of George Henderson

Side note: It should be noted i find the way they show off the Titanic is poorly done with lots of false facts, Lusitania & the Empress are done better. Also for some reason the Doc has taken off in the past few days with almost 50k views, and you would not believe he amount of crap people post in the comments with conspiracy theory's ect. Its funny but Im getting quite sick of responding to these people or people saying false facts. At the very least when you present them with facts they run away, i can see why the H&G team get sick of this very quickly

Reactions: Steven Christian
Dec 23, 2017
A little update i hid the video but i think you guys should still be able to see it. Iv decided for the time being to not make it widely available to the public as the comment section has become insulting. The amount of conspiracies and rude/mean spam comments made makes me think this doc is doing more harm than good for being viewed. Maybe this is just what comes with 100 000+ views :/

Nov 14, 2005
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to get a cup of coffee and watch it. A lot of trolls and spammers out there. I've notice lately that a lot of other uploaders on YT have been turning off the comments feature. Its crazy...post a video on how to change a clutch in a jeep and the comments turn into a politcal rant or insult fest. Anyway again thanks.

Reactions: Itsstillthinking
Dec 23, 2017
Thanks, honestly the reason iv decided to hide it is because i made a pinned post in the comments that with the traffic coming in that any Spams or insulting conspiracies comment's would be removed due to the sheer amount of it. And then a bunch of people accused me of censoring peoples ideas. This of course was never my intention but left a bad enough taste in my mouth to pull it from the public :(

Nov 14, 2005
That was really good. Thanks. I remember seeing it on PBS when it first came out years ago. I just let let myself enjoy it so I didn't really notice any major mistakes about Titanic. But you were right about the Empress of Ireland segment. Sad but top notch none the less.

Dec 23, 2017
I have always loved George Henderson testimony for two reasons 1) He is actually in a unique position, most disasters at sea are viewed in lifeboats or in the middle of the chaos. George was several miles off from all the chaos and had a great vantage point. 2) he tells it really well and i love his final line "And as time fades, and the little grey cells get worn out. I can still sit here now and see that liner just sliding beneath the waves" Its a shame as when this testimony was recorded for another Documentary (below) he passed away apparently just a month or two after being filmed. Its really sad that most people in these docs are long gone, wish i could have had the pleasure to meet them

Its sad that most of the survivors past away right after the filming of this.

Nov 14, 2005
Ah yes the switch theory...LOL. That one is almost as good as the conspiracy theory that double secret agents ran Titanic into the iceberg on purpose so as to kill off the Astor's and the other wealthy people who were standing in the way of creating the Federal Reserve banking system and the income tax amendment.