Lost Voyage

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
I came across this one at the Video store the other day. To be honest, I wanted any old cheap movie because I was testing a new DVD player and this inevitably caught my eye!

It's about a cruise ship that vanishes into the "Bermuda Triangle" in 1972, and then magically reappears 25 years later. Aside from damage to the bridge and the fact that everybody on board has disappeared, the ship is in mint condition. Ho hum!

Of course, when a TV crew go aboard accompanied by a salvage team and the son of one of the original passengers, weird things start to happen. Guess what, the Corona Princess (as she is called) appears to be haunted...

Actually, at the risk of being ridiculed, I liked it. The whole thing obviously makes no sense, and even the laws of marine salvage get mangled along with a lot of other things, but I actually found it spookier and more suspenseful than the rather disappointing "Ghost Ship."

Does anybody else know about this movie? If so, do we know what ship was used (or is it just a model)?

For fans of any flick that has a ship in it, you could do much worse than "Lost Voyage" (give me this over "Britannic any day!), as long as you are prepared to suspend all belief for 93 or so minutes.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Matthew,

I haven't heard of this movie, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to look for it, when I'm at the video store.

Thanks for posting it.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I have seen this movie more then once. It is usually shown on the Sci-Fi channel at least a few times every few months. This movie staring Jud Nelson spawned three other network movies relating to the Bermuda Triangle and lost ships that come back. I think of only one that involved a Queen Mary look alike named the Queen of Scotts, it was a poorly made movie with little to no technical accuracy. The second was a TBS movie that involved the interiors of the Queen Mary but a computer generated ship that was a cross between the Lurline of Matson and the Andrea Doria. The third I have never seen but heard about.

Shortly after these came out the famed "Ghost Ship" appeared.

B

Brian R Peterson

The other movie that this brings to mind as Erik mentioned is "Ghost Ship" where yet another Andrea Doria knock off named the Antonio Graza disappears for 40 years and is found intact and haunted by a team of salvagers it wasnt very good mind you.

Best Regards,

Brian

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Brian, I agree completely that "Ghost Ship" was not too good. Actually, it could have been, that is the sad fact. The potential for a really good ghost/horror movie with a nautical setting was there all right, but what emerged was largely as scary as a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Such a shame when a potentially good idea is wasted like that, isn't it?

H

Hugo Bergmann

I had seen 'Lost Voyage' when it first came out, enjoyed it, and bought it a couple of weeks ago. The ship (the "Corona Queen") is fictitious, as is the cruise line that operates it ("Cresent Cruises"). The ship is obviously a CG model, but the attention to detail is good and it is quite realistic. The deck scenes are a mixture of sets and the 'blue screen'. If you have seen any of the P&O liners from the 1970s (eg. the Fairstar or old Oriana) you will see the interior and exterior shots are fairly accurate. I especially like the fact that at the end of the film when the ship vanishes again it begins to rust and decay on the inside and outside as it travels through the 'doorway'. Much better than 'Ghost Ship', in terms of an explanation for the events.