Lounge or smoking room

B

Bob Hannibal

ok ive been reading the post about the collapsing room not being the lounge and i have found quite a few mistakes.

i personally belive that they were trying to show us the lounge breaking the reason they did not have the chandlier or the fancy ceiling in this take is because it would be 2 expensive to costantly repair that. The smoke room is not the same set as the lounge because you would have to change to many things like the revolving door. The girl floating in the lounge would have happened before the "crackling scene" because the power was still on and she would have drownned there is no way she could have walked in after the ship broke up because the bow sunk almost immediatly after. the panneling in the lounge was oak the panneling in the lounge was manhongony which is a darker brown. The lounge was also just behind the break the smoke room was farther aft and would have had only minimal structural damage such as compression as mentioned in other posts. The smoke room was undoubatly destroyed afterwards but not because of the break. the swinging doors from the other lounge seens are present in the left side of this scene aswell as the decorative fireplace. im getting the impression that the lounge collapsing scene is actually a miniture because the chairs and tables are really small. the reason there is no water in the lounge breaking scene is because with the power out it would be almost impossible to see anything from underwater.heres a screen capture of the smoke room notice the colour of the wood compared to that of the lounge.

Edited to remove copyrighted photo - JDT

Jun 12, 2004
Bob,

You made a mistake. The lounge was just forward of the break, not behind it (the break occurred right aft of the third funnel; the lounge was situated just forward to it). The smoking room, however, was farther aft of the break, so it endured far less, if any, damage from the break, and was destroyed during the sinking when the aft grand staircase was obliterated and the starboard boat deck peeled back. The room cracking was supposed to be the lounge because of its location and because the direction of the rippling effect caused by the break (from left to right, away from the break). At the time of the break, neither the lounge nor the smoking room had water in them.

That brings me to the inconsistency of the "floating girl" shot, which, as you've said, occurred beforehand. And, apparently, it had to have been the lounge because the oblong chandelier fitted into the recessed ceiling was a feature only of the lounge.

But wait a minute! Wasn't the lounge untouched by water during the break up, which occurred after the "floating girl" shot? If this is the case, then in which room was the "floating girl" shot supposed to have occurred?...

This is a mystery that can only be summed up to dramatic license.

>>the reason there is no water in the lounge breaking scene is because with the power out it would be almost impossible to see anything from underwater.<<

This still doesn't explain the inconsistency; reasons aside, there is this an inconsistency which, as said, is left as a mystery summed up to dramatic license, which means that we may never get a completely sensible answer.

In the end, we really don't need to, as we all know how it happened, or was supposed to have happened, within the progression of the break in the movie (and, perhaps, in actuality). That's all that's important.

I hope this helps.

--Mark

B

Bob Hannibal

woops sorry i ment that the lounge was forward of the break i got mixed up in my sentences as i was just returing from a spamathon from someone who was agruging with me on hotmail. but wouldnt the lounge have water in it the water was tearing up the grand staircase with incredible force and the dome breaking let even more water in which would have gone rushing down the corridor to the lounge but could have been slowed by the extreme angle of the ship i just watch the movie and see the water at the top of the second floor of the grand staircase and think woa that water has to go somewere and assumed that it went down the corridor. i heard that the break originally started from an ash ejecttion door on e deck and worked its way up and down. i still cant really see how that water could be stopped unless the water was diverted into the reading and righting room on its way up the corrdior which would have slowed it signifiganlty. ya i see wat u mean now the water was in the lounge in the movie but the next shot we see that it is empty and that there is no floating chick or water or any light fixture or ornate ceiling. i guess its like others say a general first class room that wasnt really supposed to be anything

B

Bob Hannibal

i never said that that room wasnt the lounge i know that the room with the floating girl was indeed the lounge. i just saying that in the crackly scene there is no light fixture or water which gives me the impression that it wasnt supposed to represent the lounge but then i think it is oh man i cant figure it out.

D

Daniel David Myers

The ceiling of the cracking scene was exactly like the smoking room ceiling because there was those little candleabra looking lights and no chandelier, the Lounge however, had small half-circle light fixtures away from the chandelier to keep light in those areas, and is doesn't show those in the cracking scene either. from my research, and the deck plans i have seen, it was the smoking room that was in between the 3rd and 4th funnels which was where the crack was made, therefore, it was the smoking room that was cracked in half. The Lounge itself was not very close to the crack, but its pantry was, which was in between the smoking room and the Lounge. So since the Smoking room was cracked in half, the Lounge is a few small rooms and a corridor to the front of the ship.. so it should be intact (exept for the collapsed roof now). Conversation closed?

D

Daniel David Myers

By the way... Bob, there were no swinging doors in the Lounge, those were in the Smoking room going to the palm Court Verandah Cafe room just aft. And there was also a fireplace in the smoking room. Remember rose and Jack running through the smoking room when the ship was sinking and seeing Thomas Andrews by the fireplace, and then running through the swinging doors?? that was the smoking room.