Lowe's Uniform

A

Alex McLean

As some of you may have noticed, in the famous photograph of Harold Lowe (the one that appears in Illustrated History and many others), he is wearing an officer's cap that has a different emblem than that of the White Star Line. Infact, it looks rather like a flag of Holland (I am probably wrong on that account, but it does look like that of a European flag). What line does he belong to at this time?
Thanks

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Meaning that, prior to joining the WSL, Harold Lowe was employed with the Elder Dempster line on ships that primarily traded on the West Coast of Africa - hence the house flag on his cap badge. You may recall he referred to this period in his testimony at the US Inquiry?

Don't mean to sound cagey, Alex - there is, of course, an awful lot more to it than this, but I'm saving that data for publication.

Hope this is of assistance.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
I appreciate the difficulty of trying to decipher cap badges on old monochrome photographs but ordinarily the Dutch national flag bears no resemblance to, and cannot be mistaken for, the Elder Dempster house flag!

Noel

Mar 3, 1998
<font color="#000066">Vixenology never was my area

It should be; otherwise, you might end up getting married to one.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Parks

A

Alex McLean

LOL! OK, granted it was a joke at my expence, it was a very good one. Well Done Parks, I really should have seen this coming.
Thanks for the laugh

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Have had it pointed out to me by a mate that I was perhaps a wee bit abrupt in my initial response to this thread. Re-reading it, I can see that it does sound rather curt! One of the drawbacks to multitasking - I'm usually writing in multiple forums/lists/emails and switch back and forward. Should have checked it before I posted.

It was a legitimate question Alex - I've heard other folks wonder about the cap badge, and Lowe's service with Elder Dempster is not general knowledge. I don't think it's ever been published, come to think of it, although of course it's been known since he testified in 1912 that he had served on the West African run. Walter Lord, from memory, made an erroneous reference to Lowe 'windjamming' on the African coast. These ships - and I have a record of all the vessels he served on for this period, and official logs and/or agreements for most of them - were, needless to say, all steamers.