Lowe's wife

C

Cristina Sasse

Hi there!
Does anybody know something more about Ellen Marion Whitehouse??
Thanks,
Crissy ;)

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
There's quite a lot of good material on Ellen Marion Whitehouse, Crissy. At the risk of sounding repetitive, however, I'm avoiding any major disclosures at this point :)

The marriage was a happy one, well matched, and the two came from the same social Anglo-Welsh background. Ellen's life was not a particularly easy one, as she first had to care for her father when he was in poor health and then, during the final years of his life, her husband. After Harold's death, Ellen continued to be active in her own local community interests. She passed away only a few years later on 10 February 1947, suffering from mitral stenosis and congestive heart failure.

From those I've spoken to who met or knew her, she seems to have been a very warm individual. One gets an overwhelming impression of sheer competance about her, an ability to manage whatever life threw at her.

Oct 14, 2003
Heya Inger,

I won't ask for too much information because I know that your book is about Harold Lowe but I was wondering how long did Harold and Ellen know each other before they got hitched?

Christa.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
G'day Christa -

There's no direct evidence that I (or his descendants) have on when their first meeting took place, but when the full story is published it will be evident that they almost certainly knew each other for a very long time prior to their engagement.

All the best,

Ing

Oct 14, 2003
Thanks, Ing.

Any idea when the story will be published? We're all waiting on the edge of our seats to pounce on a copy when it is released (kinda like the Harry Potter books!)

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Lol! It's a bit of a case of 'tell me and we'll both know' at this point, Christa! I should be working on it now that I'm kicking back in Australia, but am enjoying some early summer sunshine. Haven't quite been idle, though - I've been in consultation with one grandson, who has been giving me input on early drafts of the ms, and need to send a copy to the other branch as well for comment and correction. I've also sent copies to professional mariners and Titanic researchers for their input,and am starting to work with the feedback they've given me.

I greatly appreciate your interest, although there's still a long way to go - even assuming it's taken up for publication. In a worst case scenario I'd find another way to present the information to interested parties.

All the best,

Ing

Oct 14, 2003
Isn't writing an exasperating process? It exists in your mind in all it's completion (or at least that's what you believe until you find out a bit more!) and then you have to trudge through the actual writing stage. While this can be a great learning process (as your manuscript changes as you write it) and a great adventure you embark on, your mind travels ahead as a bird of flight and you end up stumbling over the rocky mountains to catch it up.

Or as Winston Churchill said
"Writing a book is an adventure; it begins as an amusement, then it becomes a mistress, then a master, and finally a tyrant."

I admire your staying power.