Lucian Philip Smith

Apr 27, 2011
Hi E.T members,

I'm Franck, from the French Titanic Society, and I've been searching every little things about Alfred Fernand Omont for 3 years.

You know that, when the collision took pace, Lucian Philip Smith was playing auction bridge with Alfred Fernand Omont and 2 other French's called Pierre Maréchal and Paul Chevré.

I've already read the L.P Smith biography available on E.T, but I'd like to learn more.
Therefore, is there anyone there who is able to tell me more about this famous passenger ?

Thanks a lot,

Very best regards,

Franck

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Hi Franck,
I'm glad you brought this up.

A lot of info on LPS seems contradictory. I've seen him referred to as a Philadelphian and a West Virginian, and I think I've also read that his father became rich in the mines of Pittsburgh. So details of his background are sketchy.

I'm not sure, but it seems the couple was planning to live in Huntington. I don't know who the farm that Eloise referred to in her letter belonged to.

I've always thought of Lucien as a French name and used to wonder if his family was part French, but I don't think they were.

I'm pretty sure it's discussed in their ET bios that relations between his family and his wife were not good after his death. She sued them for financial support, but eventually gave up the suit. The New York Times piece on the subject said that Lucien had no money of his own and only had an allowance of $500, thus Eloise had no legal grounds for a case. The article didn't specify, but I assume the $500 was monthly.

Strange that both the pregnant widows in 1st class - Mary Marvin and Eloise Smith - had nothing to do with their husband's families after the sinking.

Apr 27, 2011
Hi Brian,

I thank you a lot, as you helped me. Thanks.

You're right, "Lucien" is a French surname. Nevertheless, it's written most of the time "Lucian" in the newspapers.

To sum up, LPS is a very strange man, who is unknown too, even though he was a 1st class passenger.

Do you know when he was exactly born ?

Very best regards,

Franck

Tony Sheils

Jan 6, 2001
According to Craig Stringer in his CD "Titanic People", Lucien Philip Smith was born on 14 August 1887.

Apr 27, 2011
Hi Tony,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I am satisfied.

If somebody else has further information, please, let me know.

Very best regards,

Franck

Aug 30, 2005
Franck,
You might want to try a book called Titanic: Women and children first, by Judith B. Geller. There is a whole section on Mr. Smith and his wife. Hope this helps. (Sorry about the late post!)
Andy

Aug 30, 2005
My pleasure. But i re-read the chapter and found out that the section was mostly about his wife, but you may be able to pick up some info about him. Good luck.

Andy