Lucy Steigerwald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2006
Hello everyone!

I'm Lucy, 18, living in the fairly dull state of Pennsylvania.

I've been interested in the Titanic sporadically through the years. I know I read couple of books before seeing the movie in 1998 because I have vague memories of such a thing, and because the general story certainly wasn't unfamilier.

Recently, yes, it was the damned movie again. It was on TV, and I as usual was furious at the generic love story that was "needed". God forbid actual tragedy be the focal point in a movie, right? I'm a history nerd, all this 20th century, so "Titanic" and "Pearl Harbor" drove me to the ends of the earth crazy. They minimalize historical tragedies which are amazing looking on film by putting Ben Affleck or Kate Winslet with bad dialog (because she is a good actress most of the time) in the foreground.

But then of course there's the actual sinking part in the film. And it's still just about the most sickening, hit you in the stomach parts of a movie I have ever seen. Every time I have ever seen it, the band, and Guggenheim going down like a gentleman just kill me...Even deeply questionable things historically speaking, like Murdoch's suicide get me right in the stomach. And then they cut back to Kate and Leo and I'm like, hey actors!

I will never forgive James Cameron...I just won't.

Anyway, the damn movie made me have an urge to head to the library and read about the disaster. That's how it often goes with me, the Hollywood version of things give me a need to find out the real story. Or more about it and back the topic, in this case.

So I read "Unsinkable" by Daniel Allen Butler the night before last...Needing to finish it before sleeping, and then being in a very eerie mood (I was listening to the late Jeff Buckley's album "Grace" at the time, which must have made things more eerie.) And I cried a little bit, of course. And very few books, movies, anything, make me cry.

Now "A Night to Remember" is hopefully in the mail from Amazon already, and I am dying to see the movie as well.

Anybody else have any other books, whatever, that are essential reading on the topic?

Because I am firmly in obsessed mode at the moment.

But anyway, it's lovely to be here. Sorry for going on and on and on and on and on...and on.

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
Hey, Lucy! Welcome to the board! I know two Titanic movies you might be interested in. There's the Titanic movie that was made in 1953 and there's another Titanic movie that was made in 1943 by the Germans as a propaganda film. Glad to have you on the board! What's Pennsylvania like?

Feb 9, 2006
Thanks a lot!

I was just reading about the German Propaganda film in "Unsinkable" and I couldn't believe it exists...That could be pretty amazing to see, is it actually rentable?

Pennsylvania...Well, I live on a hill with woods around around it, about 30 minutes from Pittsburgh. It can be boring, sometimes it's good. I just want to go elsewhere!

Where do you live?

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
I don't think the "Titanic" 1943 version is rentable (well, at least at my Blockbuster). The movie is all in German, the whole script. But, there are English subtiles to go along with the movie so you can understand what everyone's saying. Try getting the "Titanic" 1943 movie on Ebay or Amazon. I got my Titanic DVD on Ebay and I think they still might have a few. This movie has a lot of history to it. I've read that the ship that was used to film the movie sank during World War II. I don't know much about the sinking but I'm sure you can find more about it online. I know the director, Herbet Selpin, was arrested by the Gestapo and then later killed in his cell. The movie was banned in Berlin, Germany because of the scenes in panic in it because it reminded Germans of the frequent Allied bombing raids happening to them almost every day. I think the movie is very good but inaccurate because since it's a German propaganda film it protrays the English very badly and the Germans heroes. It even shows two millionaire men trying to get into a lifeboat by paying the First Officer $1,000,000 (that would be a lot of money back then, I'm sure). It portrays Bruce Ismay as a villan and a coward. But, still it's an interesting flick. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. I live in a housing development a few miles away from the hotels. My neighborhood is very nice although our house got broken into less than a week ago. No one was hurt nor nothing stolen. I actually used to live on the East Coast in Columbia, Maryland back in 1990-1992. Very nice place to live, I think. Do you have any pets at your house? Well, hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.