LUSITANIA Archeology

Jan 29, 2001
George:
Before our friendship parted, I held private correspondence with Eric Sauder, perhaps, along with his brother Bill, the most knowledgeable LUSITANIA historians alive today. I recall Mr. Sauder sharing with me...the DELTA submersible was trapped on the wreck by a fishing net, the LUSITANIA is strewn with these, anyhow they had to eject the propellor cowling so as to regain ascent to the surface w/DELTA submarine. Subsequently, if I recall correctly, divers recovered the cowling. It resides as part of Mr. E. Sauder's LUSITANIA collection.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

May 27, 2007
Neat, I think I vaguely remember something getting stuck down there. I'm glad Eric Sauder got a memento of the dive. Thanks Michael.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Hedgehogs were WWII.<<

Yeah, but there wouldn't be anything especially unusual or even sinister about finding them around the wreck. It's been mentioned that the Royal Navy frequently used the wreck as a target during anti-submarine warfare exercises during the Second World War. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same with a few other wrecks as well.

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
Since the ship is a notible historic wreck and since much of it has been bombed and collapsed by the natural force of the ocean, I would suggest a sane, efficient peeling away of the hul and recovery of anything recognizable for a traveling exhibit, such as "Titanic's". Cargo, furnishings, ship fittings, are all of key interest to the general public. I see no historic value nor respect for the dead, by letting it settle into a mass of iron oxide on the seabed. If there were people inside her when she sank, I guarantee you, they are no longer sitting around having a mid-afternoon tea. Tell their story; it's their ship.