Lusitania Sinking/Lifeboat Timeline

Dec 23, 2017
This is my current timeline, if anyone has extra tidbits or info for lifeboats it would be much appreciated if you could share

anything with - is what happened at that time, anything in between the time stamps happened during those time intervals but exact times are unknown

2:10:00 - Torpedo Strikes

Lifeboat 5 blasted off the ship

Turner orders full astern, engines fail to comply

2:10:15- Very Noticeable List forward and to starboard before "settling up" again

Turner Orders 35 degree towards shore, ship replies. My guess to port as she was traveling south with the shore along her port side

2:10:30- Second Explosion (William McMillian timed this on his watch)

Quatermaster Johnston "Steadys" the ship with a counter 35 degree as to orders, ship fails. Again my guess the order was turn to starboard

Ship is already at 15 degrees to starboard on her list but held steady at that angle for some time

2:20:00- Lifeboats start to launch

Lifeboat 18 and 2 fall inward on the starboard side killing several people

2:25:00 -Starboard List is at 25 degrees and the forecastle is submerging

After the bridge goes under list settles to 5 degrees as the ship is filling with water

2:36:15 Turner who was on the bridge watch stops, im not a expert on watches but I would roll back 30 ish seconds to when he went in the water

2:27:00- List returns worse than before, most likely after hitting the bottom the hull is staring to twist/keel over as the stern settles much like Britannic

Crewman Leslie Morton says final list as 13 was launched was about 30 degrees to starboard with the ship moving at 3-4 knots

As number 3 funnel submerges it "explodes", my bet is that is just collapsed as it was submerging. I don’t have any other evidence of the other funnels collapsing on the surface outside of num 3, any clearing up on this would help

Turner sees the ship "quiver all over" as she hits the bottom and pauses long enough for multiple people to notice it

2:28:00- Ship founder's with a "great wave" or "Sea Boiling" as she "Glided away" or also described "Just on a slide"

Lifeboats that launched or fate of them
lusi_lifeboats.jpg

Dec 23, 2017
After doing more digging into the funnel situation im fairly confident in the fact had any of the funnels collapsed they would have been as they where submerging. And from all the wonderful sketches people have been showing me of survivor drawings all show the funnels there as they where going under. I will have the funnels collapse (at the very least num 3) as the tops of them enter the water as there location on the wreck seems to indicate that they stayed with the ship to the bottom

Dec 23, 2017
Just found a treasure trove of info regarding the port lifeboats, have yet to find out which lifeboats fell onto each other yet but other than that i think iv got them down

Dec 23, 2017
Able Seaman Leslie Morton, reaching his station on the starboard side, found ‘great excitement’ on the heavily listing Boat Deck with passengers and crew of all departments rushing here and there. Again and again he caught the anxious comment ‘Surely she cannot sink?’ He knew, however, with a true seaman’s instinct that the buoyancy which would keep her afloat had gone. The lifeboat was quickly filled. The more able-bodied leapt the seven- or eight-foot gap. Others were helped across. At the order ‘lower away’, Morton grabbed the after fall while another seaman operated the forward fall. They succeeded in lowering the boat almost to the water, but the Lusitania was still ploughing through the sea. With one final effort they managed to drop the boat into the water, but because of the ship’s speed it immediately fell behind by the length of one boat, coming up alongside the listing ship directly beneath the next lifeboat. Morton, whose job it would have been to slide down the rope falls and try to get his lifeboat away from the sinking ship, did not have time to act. Instead he had to watch aghast as the other boat full of people dropped twenty-five or thirty feet fairly and squarely onto it.

Anyone know what boat this might have been?

Dec 23, 2017
She fell back one boat's length, came up alongside the heavily listing Lusitania and was directly under No. 13 lifeboat which was still in the davits. This lifeboat had been filled and I was about to go down the ropes, as was my duty, to try and get No. 11 lifeboat away from the sinking ship. The falls or tackles on No. 13 lifeboat, for which instructions had been given to lower away, were both handled by inexperienced men from one section or another of the catering or stewards' department and, instead of being lowered away the ropes went with a rush and No. 13 lifeboat, full of people, dropped twenty-five or thirty feet fairly and squarely into No. 11 lifeboat which was also full of people. Leslie's naming of lifeboat 11 and 13 was the one that fell on top of it does not match the testimony occupants of lifeboat 13, who do not mention anything extraordinary in the lowering of their boat. It is likely, then, that the boat Leslie lowered as lifeboat 9 and lifeboat 11 was the one that fell on top of it. Lifeboat 11 had spilled earlier in the sinking before it was filled again and cast away safely

Henry Sincic

Sep 11, 2017
Hi!

As for lifeboats:

Boat 5 was blown overboard by the geyser of water that erupted over the location of the impact.

3 boats, probably 8,10, and 20, were dropped into the sea relatively early in the sinking. This was after the ship righted itself. At some point, boat 22 also fell into the sea, perhaps early on in the sinking as well.

Around 8 minutes into the sinking, boat 19 was launched, with about 40 people in it. Soon after, boat 17 was lowered to within a few feet of the sea, where it then overturned.

Soon after Boat 17 was lowered/overturned, boat 21 was launched safely from the stern. The second starboard heel had started by this time. Boat 18, on the port side, swings inboard.

Up forward, Boat 1 was launched practically empty, and soon afterwards boat 13 was launched safely.

The ship, at this point, rights itself again. Boat 18 swings back out.

When water began making its way up the boat deck, Boat 9, full of women and children, was dragged under by the davits. Boat 2 floats free of the sinking ship. Boat 14 is lowered safely into the water, within 5 minutes of the sinking. It capsizes repeatedly at intervals. Another boat, perhaps 16, is overturned when the Lusitania resumed rolling to starboard.

On the starboard side, boats 11 and 15 float off of the ship, with the funnels and arial hanging right over 15. A group of collapsibles, as well as individual rafts, float off the ship in the last moments.

Henry Sincic

Sep 11, 2017
No problem! I should have mentioned before that a lot of my information is gleaned from Mike Poirier and Jim Kalafus.

Dec 23, 2017
Iv found a couple of points saying turner did not give permission to launch for lifeboats to launch until 10 minutes into the sinking. We obviously know that boats like 2 & 4 where launched before then and several others

Dec 23, 2017
EDIT: These documents are out of date and contain wrong information.

Went thew countless testimony have figured out every boat and the general time frame. Below are two documents. One my general timeline of events and one for each boats story and reasoning for some decisions. Huge thanks to Henry for some time frames that where not easily found

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
Notice some errors in the document, sorry about that everyone. Was a late night and did not catch that the ship was traveling NE not S and the second command was to starboard not port

Dec 23, 2017
Il be sure in the credits of the video to have a shout out to the site and to all the good people here for all the help

Dec 23, 2017
The info located in this thread are out of data and in accurate. For the most up to date info head to the pdf located here