Lusitania Survivors still alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dennis Foley

In addition to Titanic, I am very interested in the Lusitania. Does anyone know if there is a web cite comparable to this one (magnificient as it is!) dedicated to Lusitania? Does anyone know how many, if any, Lusitania survivors are alive today? Thanks. Dennis

F

Filipe Prista Lucas Rodrigues Lopes

I believe that there are only two Lusitania survivors still alive: Audrey Pearl, aged 86, and Barbara Anderson MacDermott, aged 89.

Hope this helps
happy.gif
Filipe

Nov 18, 2002
Hello, this is my 1st foray into the E-T site. I believe that two survivors are yet alive, Audrey Pearl (86) and Barbara Anderson MacDermott (89). Is that true or are there others? Was there a survivor named Rosalie Altamore? When did she pass on and at what age? An item supposedly signed by her is currently up for auction, and I just was curious. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2002
Hello again, while I'm on the Lusitania topic, there are so many Titanic memorial societies around the world. Is there a LUSITANIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY? If so, I'd like some more information about it (website address, location, when founded, number of members, dues, journals, etc).
Thanks again

May 8, 2001
Welcome aboard, Bruce. Can't help you a whole lot on Lusitania. I wish there was a Lusitania Historical Society. Lots of very intelligent "Lusy" people here. Would be great to combine their forces and get their knowledge down like on ET.

Nov 18, 2002
Hello Shelley and Colleen, is Barbara's last name MacDermott or McDermott. Where does she live in Connecticut (I live there also)? Does she talk to visitors in person? Does anyone know of a Rosalie
Altamore? Was she a crewmember or passenger? How old was she when she passed on?

Bruce Tompkins
CT, USA

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hi, Boz:

Yes, Audrey Pearl is Mrs. Lawson Johnston. I'll be visiting her again before the BTS convention this year and can't wait.

She worked very long and very hard hours trying to raise the money needed for this lifeboat, which was no small task considering she is in her late 80s. She did a wonderful job and is to be congratulated for her efforts.

I'd also like to personally thank again those couple of people on this list and others who donated a few dollars on Audrey's behalf. She appreciated it immensely. It's people like those who donated who are truly trying to keep the spirit of these ships -- as well as the victims and the survivors -- alive.

Eric Sauder

Bruce B Chin

Mar 19, 2005
I think I found the item that survivor Barbara McDermott is looking for, on eBay - it is in Maryland and the item is about to sell quite high

Bruce B Chin

Mar 19, 2005
Would anyone happen to know if perhaps this spoon, which I won on eBay, might belong to Barbara McDermott? Given the fact it was found in an attic and the seller is in Maryland, I do not know if this may offer any clues as to whether this spoon, that was among many that came from the ship as souvenirs between 1907 and 1915, might belong to Miss McDermott by chance.

I am currently checking with THS on this remote possibility via Eric Sauder and Ed Kamuda.

I literally read Miss McDermott's story yesterday, as I had the item already on my eBay "Watch List" for the past five days.

Your information on this would be much obliged.

Many thanks!

Bruce

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hello Bruce
There is very little possibility of the spoon having originally belonged to Barbara. The spoon was kept by her 'Granny' Pybus in Darlington, England. Since Barbara left England in 1919, without the spoon, some Pybus relatives may have sold it or it may have been lost or perhaps is held by some very distant relative.
The best person to answer your question is Shelley Dziedzic, a moderator on this board. She has gone through great lengths to track down Barbara's spoon. You can contact Shelley through the board or through her website
I am sure you have read her tribute page to Barbara?
Mike

Aug 29, 2000
Hi Bruce. Well, so many people have tried to help in the spoon quest for Barbara, which speaks volumes about the goodness of human nature. She is so appreciative of the goodwill and many efforts. It's a shame that when the household was broken up in Darlington, the whereabouts of the spoon was lost. For the duration of her grandmother Margaret's life, it was kept in what is called a Welsh dresser in the UK. I would imagine it may have been handed down to a relative. Barbara remembers, during her stay through WWI, whenever the Lusitania came up, her Grandmother reached into the dresser to show it. It is my understanding that table cutlery from the Lusitania did not have the name of the ship on it. It would have been a dessert spoon. A donor has kindly sent her what would probably be a spoon Cunard would have used in 1915 which may well have been similar or identical. She was as grateful for the gesture as if it were the genuine spoon. I am not certain about Lusitania, but sometimes souvenir spoons meant as gift items would carry the ship's name and the Cunard flag. I have a silverplated tea strainer with RMS Carinthia and the house flag in enamel in a ship's wheel on the handle. Is it possible you could post a photo of the spoon? A gentleman in England sent Barbara the famous Lusy medal when he heard that she wanted one. Although the Darlington house is gone now, some good folks in the UK are still trying to track distant relatives. Barbara went back to Darlington in the early 70's to visit her last closest relative, now deceased.

Aug 29, 2000
Just looked at the link from Ebay Bruce- that spoon sure looks like a souvenir type- not diningroom cutlery. It is spectacular! Congratulations!

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hello Shelley
I was thinking... Since Barbara always claimed it spelled out 'Lusitania' on the spoon, is it possible that Emily Anderson may have bought her a special spoon while on board to eat with as a souvenir? Or perhaps a kindly steward supplied the souvenir spoon for children during meal times?

Status
Not open for further replies.