Lusitania's last voyages

Jul 31, 2012
During the last few voyages did Lusitania carry any bayonets?

I know the .303 inch ammunition has been discussed for a long time, but I can't find an answer to my question.

Jul 31, 2012
Perhaps I did not word it well..

That Lusitania carried cases of Remington made .303 inch ammunition for delivery to the British is well documented, Remington also had a contract to manufacture bayonets made to the English enfield 1907 pattern. Perhaps these were also being carried by Lusitania on other early 1915 crossings, or maybe even the final May voyage.

As far as I have been able to determine, production was well established in the months before the sinking. So they must have been shipped across on various vessels, since Lusitania was carrying ammunition also manufactured by the same company it seems possible that bayonets may have also been carried aboard at some point.

Jul 31, 2012
Where did all the members interested in the Lusitania go? Looks like it was quite an active area?

What I'm asking is, were the bayonets ever part of any cargo carried by the Lusitania between late 1914 and May 7th 1915?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Where did all the members interested in the Lusitania go? Looks like it was quite an active area?<<

No telling. A lot of people have moved on since this thread was last of any major interest.

>>What I'm asking is, were the bayonets ever part of any cargo carried by the Lusitania between late 1914 and May 7th 1915? <<

I'm not personally aware of any manifest or amended manifest which supports this.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>So for now it's just in the "possible" category. <<

I suspect in 1915, it was in the "Nobody Gives a Toss" catagory.

Possible?

Sure it is. Wouldn't surprise me a bit, but then the issue was anything that could possibly go "Bang" that everybody was interested in.

Jul 31, 2012
That's kind of what I was thinking, it has a good possibility of having happened but it's not of interest to many since it would have no bearing on the ship's sinking and therefore is a non-issue.

Maybe someone familiar with Lusitania's cargo manifest will eventually give their opinion.