Madame Lucile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
To Randy Bryan Bigham: I thoroughly enjoyed reading your article about Madame Lucile . I
gather, you already have read "Discretions and
Indecretions. Have you gotten a copy of the "It
Girls" as well? Patty Miller

Mar 20, 2000
Hi Patty,

I am glad you enjoyed the article.

Yes, I have read the "It" Girls. I think I mentioned to you that it deals less with her career than with her private life and so is lacking in some elemental facts. Much of the research done by Meredith Etherington-Smith and Jeremy Pilcher was sound, the rest - considerably less so.

My own biography of Lucile, now finished and being solicited to publishers, has been more than a decade in the works. The autobiography and the later dual bio of Lucile and her sister are the least of my sources, I have to say, which is a good thing as they are both sorely lacking in essential truthful info.

Lucile's family, a number of other private individuals and various public archives have been invaluable in providing the strongest sources.

Best,
Randy

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Randy, I had asked because I had an extra copy,
I was going to give you. I should have realized
with all your research on the subject, you would
already have the book. Ooops on my part. Please
let me know when your book becomes available for
sale. I would love to be able to purchase one.
Patty

Mar 20, 2000
Hi Patty,

That was kind if you to think of me and I much appreciate it. I have read the threads here mentioning your extraordinary collection and as you are such a bibliophile, you may be able to help me. When "The 'It' Girls" was published in England, the first edition had a beautiful white and gold dust jacket. For the later hard back edition, it was replaced by a horrid lavender thing. The cover of the only US hardback edition was frightful as well, having that teal green backdrop with the crudely colorized photos; just atrocious. So it has been my hope to be able to find a UK first edition with the only attractive wrapper the book ever had. I am willing to pay a good price for a copy, if you come across one.

I will let you know about the progress of my book and will see that you get a copy when it comes out.

Randy

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Randy, I will keep my eye out. I do run across
some very "unique" books, at times. And I always,
keep an eye out for books, that other people are
searching for. I usually send them an email or
post it somewhere such as this message board.
The copies of the "It Girls" I have, is that
atrocious one,with the ladies on the cover.
If you want to send me your email (or prefer not
to, that is fine) to [email protected], if I do come
across the book, I will send the item, or web
site to you where you can find it. Take care, Patty Miller

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Randy, do you know the publishing date or the
publishing company name?
These were on WWW.ABEBOOKS.COM:
Etherington-Smith, Meredith and Pilcher, Jeremy.
The 'It' Girls. Lucy,Lady Duff Gordon and Elinor Glyn.
London; Hamish Hamilton 1986. 1st Edition. 8vo(9" x 6"). 274pp, illustrated. Fine in protected dustwrapper. Bookseller Inventory #680
Price: US$ 15.16 (Convert Currency)
Bookseller: Beardsell Books, Huddersfield, WY, United Kingdom (Search this Seller's Books)(Ask Bookseller a Question)
-------------------------------------------
The 'It' Girls
London, Hamish Hamilton, 1986. Hardcover. Ex-library. Good clean firm copy in Good poly covered dj. Bookseller Inventory #8652
Price: US$ 5.90 (Convert Currency)
Bookseller: A STATE OF FLUX, East Sussex, United Kingdom (Search this Seller's Books)(Ask Bookseller a Question)
-------------------------------------------------
You could go to the website and ask the bookseller, what the cover looks like. The one
from Beardsell Books, state is is a first edition.Also go to www.usedbooksearch.co.uk and put in the name Pilcher, Jeremy, and it shows
several web sites, that have the book. Good
hunting and good luck. Let me know if you find it. Patty

Mar 20, 2000
Patty,

You are too kind. I have bought UK editions (I have 3), each time hoping for the coveted white and gold covered one but have been disappointed each time. I have ordered all mine from www.bookfinder.com. None of the dealers responded to my query as to which wrapper the book was in so I just did the fool thing of buying it anyway!

Thanks for doing a check for me. I am wondering if there was a limited edition struck with the white and gold dust cover?

I will be emailing you. That's a great handle! I love the Carpathia too, by the way. (We need to get T-shirts made up!)

Randy

PS) My email address will really surprise you - it's [email protected].

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Randy, thanks for the email address. Yes, it did surprise me-NOT.LOL. It is a wonder , I didn't think to do that, put in my favorite person's name...just think, I should or could have been [email protected] or [email protected]. LOL.
Anyway, I went to the web site and asked the
bookseller about the cover. If they respond, I
will send you an email. Patty

Status
Not open for further replies.