Madame Lucile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Randy, I wouldn't be surprised if a few other techies read the article, but I don't know if they would be inclined to comment on it one way or another if only to leave the debates to the experts in the hopes of learning something. (Hell, it works for me!)

I'm not what you would call a passenger/crew person, and it's good to see something from somebody who is. Especially when they've invested as much time in the research as you have. I'll be looking forward to the book.

>>I'm trying to imagine your face as you read about gowns with names like "The Sighing Sound of Lips Unsatisfied" or "When Passion's 'Thrall is O'er" !!!<<

I don't recall having an expression despite the imaginative names for Lucille's creations. I would have loved to see the expressions on the facers of those belonging to "polite society" though. They must have hollered that the world was coming to an end...even as they bought up Lucille's clothing as fast as she could produce it!
wink.gif

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Randy, as you know my own fashion sense is, like an Atlantic berg, nine-tenths inscrutable and something best avoided on a dark night. But this small taster of your meticulous work has transformed even my understanding of Lucile and her importance to her chosen profession. 'Lady Duff and her stuff' could not be better served.

Bob

Mar 20, 2000
Bob,

You're a riot! Thanks much for the comments.

I trust your own research is going well. If I can help anymore with dating photos of lovely lasses, you've only to ask!

Michael wrote: "I would have loved to see the expressions on the faces of those belonging to "polite society" though. They must have hollered that the world was coming to an end..."

To tell you the truth, while Lucile's dresses with naughty names shocked many at first, eventually they just made people laugh! The attitude was: " 'Red Mouth of a Venomous Flower?' Please, Lucile, enough."

Randy

Mar 20, 2000
Michael wrote: "Nice to see they got over their shock."

Well, the old bitties still complained. One of them was writer Marie Corelli who publicly criticized Lucile for being "stagey" and for inviting to her fashion shows a brace of "wickedly grinning young gentlemen."

Corelli claimed that despite the rank of the society ladies present at Lucile's shows, the combination of her "suggestive" dresses, the charms of the beautiful models displaying them, and the lustful expressions of the male attendees made for a "bordello" atmosphere.

Lucile was far from offended and she said she even sent Corelli a letter of thanks, telling her that because of her newspaper rant, her salons were more crowded than ever!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I was one of the audience. Some of my chums worked at one of these places. Sometimes I'd watch the show, sometimes I'd help out, sometimes I'd do both. There was nothing this place liked more then to have some of these demonstrators show up. People would wonder what all the fuss was about, buy a ticket and some would even become regular customers.

I just love it when the best laid plans of the Mrs. Grundy's of the world backfire!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Reminds me of that Woody Allen story about helping out at a strip joint - "The pay was ten dollars an hour. Not much, but that's all I could afford"

Kris Muhvic

Jul 3, 2001
Randy!

A big congrats and thanks to you for a glimpse into Lucile's world! 300 or so pics? I'm drooling-can't wait!

Now, a funny story: I couldn't open the article up originally, for whatever reason, so I tried it out the next day at work. Of course I'm not "supposed" to do that sort of thing, but oh well. Enthralled, I did not noticed my boss creeping around and interrupting me with a "what's that?!" I guess I was in a Lucile state of mind by then, because, without thinking, I simply turned my head and said: "not WHAT...She! Lucile! (in the tone of 'duh!')". This did not register at all with him I noticed, so I pulled out the artillery with: "she was on the Titanic". Well, he knows by now NOT to get in it with me on that subject, and he turned and walked away! So, I finished your article, and my boss got to save his ears!

All is good!

Again...thank you for sharing a wonderful pleasure!

Take care-
Kris

Mar 20, 2000
Hey Kris,

Good to see you "all up in here."

And I forgive you for resorting to the old "she was a survivor of the Titanic" stand-by. Unless I'm in a crowd of artsy-fartsies or fashionistas (and they are few and far between out here 'mongst the tumble weeds, hoss), I have been known to throw that the Titanic lure myself.

Glad you liked the article!

Best to you,
Randy

Dec 7, 2000
Randy,

I did e-mail you privately with my complements, but being a "techie" I thought I'd increase the representation here and add my words of sincere congratulations about the article. I enjoyed it so much, and it was such a pleasure to read! I have been anticipating your book for years, and hope to soon have my very own copy.
happy.gif

Very Best Regards,

Daniel.

Mar 20, 2000
Hi Daniel,

I'm glad you liked the article. And thanks so much for your messages. I appreciate you for your support.

Best wishes, as ever,
Randy

Vicki Logan

May 15, 2003
Randy, Just wanted to get an update on the progress of your book. I remember you had some computer troubles. I enjoyed reading your article and am looking forward to your book. So is my mother! Hope all is well.
Vicki

Mar 20, 2000
Vicki,

It was fun getting to meet you recently and your mother who was such a good sport, coming all the way out to see us after her flight from London. She was in a better mood than I am with jet-lag!

I'm so glad you could stick around with all of us. It's just too bad there wasn't more time to talk. I'll be able to share some of the photos Kate took if that busy-bee drama teacher could stop rehearsing her kids long enough to send me copies! (hint, hint)This week I have finally sent to Shelley a CD of some pictures I took for her to put up on her website. I got some good ones.

As to my book on Lucile, it's still not commissioned alas and I am too busy at my new job to really worry about it right now. Hopefully things will slow down and I can get back on the Lucile trail.

Please thank your mom again for giving me that great magazine profiling Irene Castle and her Lucile dresses. That was a treat.

My computer troubles are over right now (knock everlasting wood)and I'll be in touch soon.

Best wishes to you and Happy Holidays!
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.