Madeleine Astor

J

Jere Baldwin

Hello,

I have read one place that Astor's wife committed suicide, but have never found any real proof to this... does anyone know the story on this?

Thanks.......................Jere

Jeffrey

Jun 18, 2009
This is definitely not true. Mrs Astor died as Mrs William K Dick on 28 March 1940 at the age of 47, ironically the age her first husband, Jack Astor, had died in 1912 on the Titanic. She died of heart failure in Palm Beach, Florida, and is buried in an unmarked grave in Trinity Cemetery, New York's burial ground for the rich and famous. I hope this helps you!

Apr 16, 2001
Dear Jeffrey,

I'm afraid that we don't know for sure about what happened to Madeleine Astor Dick. Her date of death was 27 March 1940. She died as a result of an overdose of sleeping pills but this does not mean she intentionally took her own life. Heart failure was attributed to the overdose. While her doctors never declared her death a suicide, family members and close friend always speculated that this was the case.

Mrs. Dick is buried in the Trinity Cemetery in New York City but the grave is marked. She is buried in a small mausoleum with her mother - but not near the Astor family vault. Her grave is marked if you were to look inside the crypt - however, no family name was ever inscribed on the outside of the actual mausoleum.

Hope this clears up what was originally reported.

Michael Findlay

Jeffrey

Jun 18, 2009
Thank you for the clearup! Then again, it does fit in somewhat when you think about it, because she was 47 when she died, and the loss of Jack was forever to haunt her. Do you know if there is a way to find the articles Enzo Fiermonte wrote about her? (Five "revealing" articles that Judith B. Geller mentions?) Again, thank you!

daisy

Jun 30, 2011
Greetings, I read in the book Total Titanic, that Madeleine Astor commited suicide is this a true statement or is it false? Daisy.

S

Serena

I think it´s true.I read the same story in "Her name Titanic".

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
That's something that can't be substantiated. She was found dead at her home in Florida and while suicide can't be ruled out, it seems more likely that she died from an overdose of prescription drugs. One obituary attributes her death to heart disease.

E

ETurner

Does any one recommend the book "The Astors " by
Virgina Cowles ???? Is it very detailed , photos etc??? does it talk much about Madeline Astor after the sinking??? are copies available????
ED

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
ED
No, No, Just a little bit, and yes.
It's a waste of money if you're a Titanic buff. You'll find just as much information here on ET.

E

Ed Turner

Thanks Mike for the good advice and my initials are actually ET
thanks Kim for the web address
Ed

E

ETurner

by the way my Uncle has some very good postcards of , the Olympic as a a war ship , the titanic memorial to the crew, the great big one with the man on it pushing something, and various others are they very collectable???? Is there a lot of them in existance???? I also have one of the lusitania which has been posted by a passenger while on board in 1909
Ed

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
The answer to that question probably will never be known. She died in 1940, officially of heart problems, but more likely an overdose of prescription drugs--the question is, whether accidentally or intentionally.

J

Jillynn Grow

I will be Madeline Astor in a titanic exhibition. It will be an improvisational dialogue with with the exhibit patrons. I have been researching my character all over the place since it is completely unscripted. I would be most grateful for any trivia and/or info you have about her prior to the sinking of the Titanic. I would be most interested in her hobby's, interests, nature ECT..

Thanks,
Jillynn

May 12, 2005
Jillynn,

I am not an expert per se on Madeleine but as I am a collector of turn-of-the-century magazines and newspapers, I've been privy to some nice images and articles on this rather tragic figure.

As you know from her profile here on ET she was very young on Titanic. And as she was really a quite minor debutante there wasn't a great deal of press attention paid her before she was spied by a newly divorced JJ, supposedly at a party at his home, thus beginning their courtship. That would have been in the summer of 1911.

Madeleine was an expert horsewoman, as most society girls here and abroad would have then found advantageous. After the Titanic disaster she was always out riding alone or with friends. I have at least 6 photos of her post-Titanic on the bridle path.

I have the impression she was shy, though not introverted, for she loved to dance, according to "Vogue," and was in fact at one time a patroness of a society dance club called the de Vingt in New York.

She was often photographed at Newport strolling the shores with friends and I've found columns mentioning her participation in charity bazaars, one in particular in 1915 when her candy-selling booth was set up next to a booth presided over by a sharer in Titanic sorrow, Mrs. George Widener.

I have a magazine picture, too, of Madeleine getting into her car following a rehearsal for her summer wedding to William Dick in 1916, he being described in the caption as "her sweetheart of early schooldays at Bar Harbor." In this picture she wears a dark hat with a striped band round the crown, a light gauze or muslin blouse with a loose, polka-dotted scarf tied under the open lapels.

It is interesting to note that in her 1911-12 honeymoon photos with the Colonel, Madeleine is wearing black & white striped combinations. Which leads one to imagine she was partial to the effect.

Perhaps a good way to feel "in character" for your role is to wear the black and white she obviously favored. She also in all her pictures looks a bit sad or meditative.

I hope these musings may give some indication of her personality.

I will be happy to share copies of my pictures of Madeleine Astor, if you think that will help you get an idea of her for your performance. My email is randy.bigham@gtemail.net.

Break the everlasting leg,

Randy

Kathy Bruce

Dec 14, 2007
Hello

Interesting about the Madeline, I'm just wondering I'm very interested into the Astor's and I'm just wondering I would love to see the copies, if you wouldn't mind. My email address is TitanicLdy1912@aol.com

Kathy

Jul 10, 2005
I found it rather ironic that the US inquirely was held at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, that was part owned by JJ Astor. Kinda freaky huh?

Beverly

D

Daniel Rosenshine

There's an article about the Astor houses and a bit on the family in the Winter 2000 "Titanic Commutator."

Daniel.