Madeleine Astor

J

Jere Baldwin

Hello,

I have read one place that Astor's wife committed suicide, but have never found any real proof to this... does anyone know the story on this?

Thanks.......................Jere

This is definitely not true. Mrs Astor died as Mrs William K Dick on 28 March 1940 at the age of 47, ironically the age her first husband, Jack Astor, had died in 1912 on the Titanic. She died of heart failure in Palm Beach, Florida, and is buried in an unmarked grave in Trinity Cemetery, New York's burial ground for the rich and famous. I hope this helps you!

Dear Jeffrey,

I'm afraid that we don't know for sure about what happened to Madeleine Astor Dick. Her date of death was 27 March 1940. She died as a result of an overdose of sleeping pills but this does not mean she intentionally took her own life. Heart failure was attributed to the overdose. While her doctors never declared her death a suicide, family members and close friend always speculated that this was the case.

Mrs. Dick is buried in the Trinity Cemetery in New York City but the grave is marked. She is buried in a small mausoleum with her mother - but not near the Astor family vault. Her grave is marked if you were to look inside the crypt - however, no family name was ever inscribed on the outside of the actual mausoleum.

Hope this clears up what was originally reported.

Michael Findlay

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the clearup! Then again, it does fit in somewhat when you think about it, because she was 47 when she died, and the loss of Jack was forever to haunt her. Do you know if there is a way to find the articles Enzo Fiermonte wrote about her? (Five "revealing" articles that Judith B. Geller mentions?) Again, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user

daisy

Greetings, I read in the book Total Titanic, that Madeleine Astor commited suicide is this a true statement or is it false? Daisy.

That's something that can't be substantiated. She was found dead at her home in Florida and while suicide can't be ruled out, it seems more likely that she died from an overdose of prescription drugs. One obituary attributes her death to heart disease.

E

ETurner

Does any one recommend the book "The Astors " by
Virgina Cowles ???? Is it very detailed , photos etc??? does it talk much about Madeline Astor after the sinking??? are copies available????
ED

E

Ed Turner

Thanks Mike for the good advice and my initials are actually ET
thanks Kim for the web address
Ed

E

ETurner

by the way my Uncle has some very good postcards of , the Olympic as a a war ship , the titanic memorial to the crew, the great big one with the man on it pushing something, and various others are they very collectable???? Is there a lot of them in existance???? I also have one of the lusitania which has been posted by a passenger while on board in 1909
Ed

The answer to that question probably will never be known. She died in 1940, officially of heart problems, but more likely an overdose of prescription drugs--the question is, whether accidentally or intentionally.