Madeleine Astor

Donald J A Smith

Donald J A Smith

Yes, 'an interesting topic'. (But we'll not discuss hairlessness in regard to 'merkins'.) Shelley is almost certainly correct regarding Mrs Astor's armpits anticipating a new trend. If not, it would only be due to the fact that very few French women shaved, anywhere, before 1950. Perhaps the majority of Continental ladies still do not do so.

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

Oh Charles- nothing escapes us here at ET- plumbing, bidettes, toilet paper- the sky's the limit!

R

Randy Bryan Bigham

I also never thought of Mrs. Astor’s armpits as being a topic of conversation, but nothing is off limits these days. If I may weigh in on this, shaving was a Victorian custom of cleanliness in America, and perhaps elsewhere. I think it was more pervasive in Europe, at least among the theatrical set, than has been indicated here.

In 1906, for instance, soprano Mary Garden appeared in Paris in the play "Aphrodite," dressed in Grecian costumes by the designer Redfern. Two of these gowns were sleeveless, revealing her underarms, clearly visible in photos of scenes in which she raised her hands: her underarms are shaven. Also in images (from about this same date) of dancer Isadora Duncan, who wore sleeveless robes for her performances, her underarms are smooth.

I must add, too, that sleeveless evening gowns were chic well before 1915, as numerous photos and paintings show. But Shelley is right that the trend had so universalized by that year that it had become fodder for critics, who railed against and poked fun at the fashion in editorial columns and cartoons (and the pulpit, no doubt).

Donald J A Smith

Donald J A Smith

Shelley and Randy have, between them, given us much fun and info. I can very well imagine some pompous critic of the sort Randy refers to passing a comment like this: "There are, of course, women who raise their arms. And ladies who do not do so."

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

The development of the safety razor too, I suspect had an awful lot to do with women shaving . The old Victorian straight razor was nearly a murder weapon. In 1895 Gillette came up with the prototype for disposable blades and worked with an MIT engineer to produce a better model with a 2-sided blade by 1901. But it was WWI and Gillette's monopoly with the Armed Forces, supplying blades and safety razors to the troops overseas that made Gillette a household word, plenty of the things lying about the bathroom for Sis too. The style did not change- I recall using my Dad's Gillette in the 60's and it looked just like the 1906 model below. A "wind up " preview of an electric model came out in 1910 and was patented.An executive at Wilkinson Sword blademakers launched an ad campaign to court women's shaver purchase in 1914. It worked- and if you look at the starlets of the 1920's- the gals went right on to shaving off most of their eyebrows too!

A

Andrew Pascale

Vitezslav,
I would greatly appreciate it if u sent me that picture or if u can give me the website (if there is one) to see the picture.

Thanks
Andy

A

Andrew Pascale

Vitezslav,
If you click on my name Andrew Pascale you will see Click here to send a private message to Andpac and u can send it to me there.

Thanks

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hello Andrew,

Actually, Vitezslav does need your e-mail address, as images cannot be attached to a private message sent by way of the Message Board.

If you do not wish to publish your e-mail on here, send Vitezslav a message with your address in it.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
I deleted my post after seeing your e-mail, Andrew, but I'm sure Vitezslav will respond in due course.

A

Andrew Pascale

Vitezslav,

I think i may have found the picture on the website back-to-titanic. com so you dont have to send me the picture. Also i found another picture on marconigraph.com/gota and in there she is wearing a similar coat to the one in Cameron's movie. So u dont have to go through the trouble of sending me the picture, but thanks anyway.

Andy

V

Vitezslav Ivicic

Sorry, Andy, that I did not response you - I am at school now and here is no internet - that's terrible :-( I have already sent it to you, even if you have already find it. It was on back-to-titanic.com I did not know I can send you images with a private message.

Vitezslav