Madeleine's reputation

Duquesa

Duquesa

I've already heard a little bit about Madeleine Astor's life after the sinking of the Titanic and I even learned that her last husband only got involved with her for her money (I don't know how true this is).

After reading some threads about some couples who were separated, a comment saying that Lucile Carter lost some friends thanks to the scandal with William came to light and piqued my curiosity.

How did High Society treat Madeleine before the Titanic came on the scene? and after that, how did everyone react during your second marriage? Did she keep to her social bond? Did the Astor family sympathize with her?

Matthew Chapman

Matthew Chapman

She forfeited her inheritance of the Astor estate if she were to get married again. I don't think life was ever quite as peachy as it was before Titanic. Her marriages sounded toxic and she died young.

Reactions: Duquesa
Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

After reading some threads about some couples who were separated, a comment saying that Lucile Carter lost some friends thanks to the scandal with William came to light and piqued my curiosity.
I know that this thread is about Madeleine Force and she certainly was no angel but compared with that harridan Lucile Carter, a few words of sympathy for the former would not be out of place.

For all his perceived faults, Bill Carter was the one getting rid of an unwanted spouse when the couple divorced. If true, Carter's "breakfast" quip when the couple met-up on board the Carpathia was calculated to antagonize his wife with whom he must have felt he could no longer live. Lucile Carter comes across as a woman who would have made Attila the Hun go on an antidepressant if she was married to him.

Reactions: Duquesa and Jason D. Tiller
Duquesa

Duquesa

She forfeited her inheritance of the Astor estate if she were to get married again. I don't think life was ever quite as peachy as it was before Titanic. Her marriages sounded toxic and she died young.
She must have been so needy for love, too bad she went through so much trouble, thank you.

Duquesa

Duquesa

I know that this thread is about Madeleine Force and she certainly was no angel but compared with that harridan Lucile Carter, a few words of sympathy for the former would not be out of place.

For all his perceived faults, Bill Carter was the one getting rid of an unwanted spouse when the couple divorced. If true, Carter's "breakfast" quip when the couple met-up on board the Carpathia was calculated to antagonize his wife with whom he must have felt he could no longer live. Lucile Carter comes across as a woman who would have made Attila the Hun go on an antidepressant if she was married to him.
I read some horrible things about their marriage that were said by Lucile, i think it was time to put an end to this relationship, about having been calculated wow i never looked at that side of the story.

Thank you for the informations.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

I read some horrible things about their marriage that were said by Lucile
I think the keywords in that statement are "said by Lucile". She claimed that Bill Carter had horsewhipped her etc and later said that she was glad to be rid of a "wet dishrag" of a husband. When they applied for a divorce in 1914, the reasons were apparently "impounded". Lucile remarried only a few months after their divorce came though.

A Finnish friend of mine has done extensive research on the Carters and came up with some interesting (and colourful) information about Lucile and her Polk family. Unfortunately, I have lost touch with Juha for many years and so am unable to say anything about what he told me without his permission.

In those times, wealth and influence of a family often translated into "pedigree", which in turn might have been synonymous with "social class". Such people had the capability of preventing any skeletons in their pasts being looked at too deeply and 'dissuade' those who tried to.

A

Alex Kiehl

Lucile seemed like a cranky nag. William Carter was probably lucky to be rid of her.

Reactions: Arun Vajpey