Maids of the Elite

Dec 4, 1998
I have a question regarding what became of the maids of the elite ladies of the Titanic, such as Miss Nellie Barber, Nellie Bessette, Mme Bidois (I think that neither she nor Mme Lurette married because of the age they were, but I may be wrong); and Mlle Leroy.

I thank any cordial enough to respond.

Kathy

Jun 30, 2010
Jeffrey, Miss Bessette died in the 1940's in Vermont, Miss Lurette died in 1940 in France and Miss LeRoy lived until 1972. As far as I know no researcher has ever been able to find out what became of Miss Barber or Miss Bidois.

Joannie

Jan 6, 2010
ARE YOU ABLE TO FIND THE OTHERS LADIE'S DATE OF
DEATH? (MISS BAZZANI,MISS DANIELS, MISS FLEMING,
MISS GEIGER,MISS ICARD,MISS SERREPLAN).

Aug 5, 2005
This is my third posting in as little as 2 days-- I hope that I am not wearing out my welcome. I was curious to find out exactly home many of the first class servants came to be travelling with their respective employers. Even though there is frightfully very little about the lives of these 30-odd individuals, I find their stories intriging none-the-less. In gathering research, I was surprise by exactly home many of Titanic's first class passengers "picked-up" maids/valets during their travels. Was this some sort of Edwardian common occurrence, or was this activity relegated to just a select few? I know that the Countess of Rothes' maid, Roberta Maioni, was never under her mistresses employ until a few weeks before the Titanic's departure. Henry Harper picked up his manservant on his Egyptian outing (as some sort of joke accoding to Walter Lord), the Allison family seemed to have picked up a whole "crew" of hired help (two of which I believe were travelling in 2nd class)-- I am not even sure if Sallie Daniels was a pre-boarding "original". I also have doubts about Mrs.Astor's maid and a couple of others. I would be interested to find out the "trends" occurring at this time in regard to getting a servant. If finding hired help was a "goal" of some of these privledged individuals, and one of the purposes of a European sojurn was to "stock" the manner house with young help, why didn't these first class passengers merely bundle their "charges" into 3rd class and not worry about having the burden of sheparding an "unrefined" individual through the first class corridors. The maid/manservant story is often overlooked in Titanic lore. I find this perspective fascinating and would like to know more about these individuals, the duties they were required to do, and their actions aboard the ship (I know that the maids and valets had their own dining room on C-deck, but exactly how much free reign did they have within the ship). Thanks for everyone's help.

Jason

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Jason,
Mrs. Astor's maid, Rosalie Bidois, was acquired through a prestigious New York employment firm that catered to the needs of the ultra wealthy. She had worked for other well known New York families such as the Lorillards, Bernheims, and Stickneys.

I've written a biographical article detailing her life in America with details about her marriage, death, and immediate family which I believe is scheduled to appear in the September issue of the Atlantic Daily Bulletin. After it appears there, I'll submit it to this site as well. She lived an interesting and paradoxical life.

Phillip

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Jason:
Very fascinating Titanic topic. It's pretty hard to find anything on most of the servants. For example, in the book entitled "The Astors" by Virginia Cowles, there is no mention of Rosalie Bidois at all. Other Astor servants are not referrred to by name, either. Astor's son "Vincent was brought up by an Irish nursemaid and a German governess" -- both of whom do not even rate name recognition.

Personally, I would be interested in anything you might develop on Mahala Douglas' maid, Berthe LeRoy. Contact me at [email protected]
Mrs Douglas lived part-time in my home state of California for quite a few years, and I'm trying to find out if Miss Bidois ever came out here. I doubt it, but you never know.

As an aside, anybody who is not a member of the British Titanic Society should join now just to get a copy of Phil Gowan's first official published work in the quarterly magazine "Atlantic Daily Journal". For decades he has been helping everybody else by tracking down various important documents and records and has never had a byline of his own.
BTS doesn't have a website, but you can apply for membership by writing to:
British Titanic Society
PO Box 401
Hope Carr Way, Leigh,
Lancs. WN7 3WW
They are not geared up to take American checks or credit cards, but international money orders or $20 in well-hidden American dollars in an envelope would probably work nicely (they like to buy on eBay like the rest of us.)

Apr 16, 2001
Dear Jason,

Many of the first-class servants were "hired" in the days and weeks prior to sailing with their employers on the Titanic.

This is true in the case of Mrs. Straus, the Countess of Rothes, the Allison family and Mr. Harper. However, most of the maids had been in the service of their employers for years. Elise Lurette, the Spencer maid, had been with the Spencer family for decades. Her service was so highly regarded that she went to Halifax to help in the vain attempt to locate the body of Mr. Spencer. Margaret Fleming, Mrs. Thayer's maid, was also a long-time employee. Margaret and Mrs. Thayer were companions as well. When Margaret died, Mrs. Thayer sought to all the funeral arrangements. Anna Ward was the faithful maid to Mrs. Cardeza, and had long been in the employ of the Cardeza family. She continued with Charlotte Cardeza for years, and was left a generous amount of money upon Mrs. Cardeza's passing in 1939. Amelia Icard, Mrs. Stone's maid, was also left a considerable sum upon her employer's death in 1924. I do not know how long Icard was employed by Mrs. Stone, but judging from the generous amount left by Mrs. Stone, Amelia Icard must have a long-time and/or very loyal companion to the wealthy widow from Ohio.

I will be submitting an article on the Titanic's servants to the ET very shortly - it has been very hectic in the midst of co-authoring an upcoming book about the Titanic's passengers and crew. If you have any specific questions about any of the servants, I'll be happy to try and answer.

Regards,

Michael Findlay

W

Weert Schomerus

Mr. Findlay do you have name of husbands of those maids.

In gratitude
Weert Schomerus

W

Weert Schomerus

Mr. Findlay,
I am pleased to have any informations on tehm you would give.

In gratitude,
Weert

R

Rebecca Chwascinski

I was recentelly at the Chicago Science and Industry Museum to see the Titanic Presentation. Upon entering the presentation, we were given bording passes with names of people who were on the Titanic. When you walk through the exibit, you can look to see if the person on your card lived or parished. I am looking for any information on the life of Mr. William Charles Lindsay (2nd class fireman who survived). I can not seem to find much about him after the Titanic. Send me anything you can find on him if you can. [email protected]
Thank you,
Rebecca Chwascinski

T

T Monera

Can some one please tell the correct name of Loraine Allisons Nursemaid was it Sarah Daniels or Sallie Daniels ????I would also be intrested to now was there any transexuals on board the Titaic when she sailed ????
Tarlanea
San Fransisco

B

Bitteroot Brute

Sallie is a nickname for Sarah--

Transexuals in 1912???????--that's pre-Christine Jorgensen my filly.

Bitteroot Brute

T

TMONERA

I THINK EDITH EVANS WAS , THATS WHY SHE WAS NOT ALLOWED IN THE BOAT
TARLANEA
SAN FRANSISCO

E

ETurner

Get a life!!!!!! This site is for people intrested
in the Titanic not silly beggars
ed
here in Great Britain

E

ETurner

Can somebody please tell if Mrs Cardeza was awarded her compensation claim for the loss of her
14 trunks , 3 crates of luggage and a jewel case
(have I got that right)
Ed