Mail Room

B

Burel Jean-Pierre

What stairs would the mail clerks use , in order to reach the E deck working alleyway ?
The only way I can make out is through the Baggage store on port side of F deck , but that would mean that in order to escape their quarters , they'd have to go down one deck to G deck , then cross to the port side and then up two flights of stairs .
Any clues ?
Regards .

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Burel,

Good question: But even if the mail clerks went down to G-deck the stairs which you refer to that cut into the port-side of the 1st Class Baggage Room show on all the deck plans I have as leading up from the area of 3rd Class rooms 251-260; not from the 1st Class Baggage Room. There seems to be no way into or out of the mail clerks quarters.

Looking at the text of ANTR it seems that the mail clerks were able to access stairs that took them up into the 1st Class area on E-deck. This suggests a doorway on F-deck between the Post Office stairs and the stairs that gave access to the Squash Court. Note, the Registered Letter area also seems to lack an access doorway.

Jul 14, 2000
I've noticed the same problem. There doesn't seem to be any way in or out of the mail clerk's quarters and mail room.

Unless they were hoisted down there through the #2 hatch. There must be a door, or stairway missing from the plans.

Yuri

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Yuri,

It seems to be the Bunker Hatch rather than the No 2 Hatch that has doorways leading into the Baggage areas.

Most plans seem to be incomplete. As an added example I understand that there were doorways between the two 3rd Class Dining Rooms. None show on any plans that I have.

Jul 20, 2000
Dear All,

In the hope that a Titanic Structural Expert or Deck Plan person will see this; on behalf of Burel, Yuri and myself can it be advised how the Mail Clerks were able to access stairs that took them up into the 1st Class area on E-deck. This suggests a doorway on F-deck between the Post Office stairs and the stairs that gave access to the Squash Court. Existing deck plans show no access into or out of the mail clerks quarters; other than down into the Mail Room itself. As Yuri noted: There must be a door, or stairway missing from the plans. Can anyone advise where that doorway was?

Lester

Aug 8, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Dear Everyone,

I don't know which plans that everybody is referring to, but I do know that in my plans, there are two sets of stairs, one located in the post office, but I think that goes down into the extra mail storage below, and one in a small little entry right next to it that went up. This entry was also connected to the 1st class baggage and the mail room. Unless I am mistaken, I hope this solves the problem.
Your humble servant,
Private Clark Morningstar
7th Illinois Volunteers
Union Army
P.S. I am attaching a picture of what I mean.
[Moderator's Note: Edited post to remove oversized image, which has been re-posted below. JDT]
P.S.S. If you look in these plans, it will also show that the part of the wall between the E in Post Office and the R in Registered Letters is the secure access door to the room.

Jul 20, 2000
Hello Clark,

What you are detailing is how to go from G-deck up to F-deck. That was never in doubt. The question was how did the Mail Clerks who were berthed on F-deck get from there up to E-deck as all plans show a solid rear wall on the passageway that led to the steps you show coming up from G-deck. It has now been established that there was a door in that wall where it faced those steps. That door also faced the steps that came down from E-deck and gave access to the Viewing area for the Squash Racquet Court.
133044.jpg

Also see the deck plans on this web-site.
What shows on your plans at the F-deck level??

Derek Kaye

Jul 7, 2007
That's G deck... he was referring to this part of F deck - the door between the post office quarters and 1st class.

133048.png

(From Bruce Beveridge's Plans)

Aug 8, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Hey everybody,

Sorry to post already known information, and thank you Mr. Tiller for re-posting the picture, sorry for the trouble.
As for yourself Derek, you have much better deck plans than I, in fact I would question you as to how I could get them?
Yet again everyone, Sorry!
Private Morningstar

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Since no one seems to have answered this question in all of these years:

According to Bruce Beveridge's excellent blueprints, there is a sliding door between the two staircases on F Deck. It looks like a wall in the blueprints posted above. When that sliding door was open, you could walk straight down the stairway from E deck, take 4 or 5 steps forward, then walk down the second stairway to the mail room on G deck.

The sliding door would allow the mail staff to shut off access and isolate both their quarters and the mail room from the rest of the ship. When shut, the door would still allow first class passengers to access the squash court, but not the mail rooms.

This, and the swimming bath, really are one of the most fascinating parts of the ship. It's too bad there isn't more documentation.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
First of all, the mail room is on G Deck right?

Moderator's hat on:

TitanicNerd, you have been told not to ask questions that have already been answered by another Moderator.

Again, stop or further moderating action may be taken against you.

See Tim Turner's post #17 immediately above yours for the answer.