Mailboxes on the Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christine Geyer

Hallo everyone,

I wonder if the salvage of mailboxes on the Titanic, containing the letters written onboard, was ever tried. I'm not sure don't remember for sure but I don't think I have ever seen a photograph of them so I don't know how they looked like and if there'd be a chance at all that any letters would've "survived" inside. If I'm not totally wrong it was in Lawrence Beesleys book where he tells about putting a letter into such a mailbox.

Otherwise these would've probably been inside the ship (= the wreck) where they don't get anything from, or did that change in the meantime ??

Lots of regards and a nice weekend
happy.gif

Christine

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi Christine,

I don't know anything about the mailbox, but I do know that there are some pieces of paper found in the wrecksite. Those pieces including some letters written aboard Titanic if I remember. I believe that one of them was a loveletters. However there were also letters found who weren't written aboard Titanic. Probably letters for someone in America. Other pieces of paper included some official papers and playing cards. The pieces of paper were recovered, cause they were find in suitecases or things like that. It had protected them against the water.

Hope this helps,

Tschüss!
Rolf

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Whole stacks of varying types of paperwork have been lifted from the debris field, and the mailsacks have been seen by ROV still inside the ship-they have a weird pink fluffy growth over them now. No doubt RMS Titanic Inc.'s new owners will eventually sway things their way and start picking things out of the ship itself.

C

Christine Geyer

Thank you Rolf and Mike !

Yes, I've also seen recovered paper on the exhibition and it was stunning how it "survived" the long time under water. So we'll see what they do and if those letters ever get up.

Regards,
Christine

L

Lars Lifvendahl

Hello Christine,

As I've heard you like Sweden I think you should pay a visit to Stockholm and its Postal Museum where the exhibition Letters from the Titanic is showen. It was open last October by Millvina Dean.
The exhibit is arranged by the Titanic expert Mr Claes-Göran Wetterholm and contains letters and postcards sent from the ship and very many other objects, some never showen before.
It's really excellent!
Lars

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Christine,
in the area of the second class library (the stern), the wreck would be too far pulverized to attempt any exploration to see if the remains of the postal box is intact.
There might be a slight chance (but doubtful) that the postal box in the first class lounge might still be partially intact. It was located on the fore wall next to the door leading to the Grand Staircase (the box is labeled on detailed GA plans of Titanic).
Regards,
Dan

R

Rolf Vonk

Dan,

Do you think the mailbox for second class was in their Library? I've seen a mailbox on an Olympic deckplan, located just outside the library in the aft staircase. On the starboardside of the double door to the lounge. I don't know if the one aboard Titanic could have been in the same place?

Regards,
Rolf

Status
Not open for further replies.