Man in Woman's Shawl

jlj93byu

In reference to the incident of Office Lowe discovering a man in a woman's shawl while transferring passengers on the lifeboat, I recall reading a few years ago that the man did not use the disguise to get off the ship, but rather that once he was in the lifeboat, a female passenger gave him the shawl as she could see he was visibly chilled. I can't recall what book or article provided this information. I seem to recall it coming from Don Lynch in some form, but am not sure.

Does anyone know where this information can be referenced?

jlj93byu

That was probably 3rd Class passenger Daniel Buckley. You can read his testimony here: TIP | United States Senate Inquiry | Day 13 | Testimony of Daniel Buckley (Third Class Passenger, SS Titanic)

Thank you, Bob. My apologies for my delay in expressing my gratitude. I have also found some other accounts of male passengers boarding lifeboats and when officers asked them to leave, female passengers aiding to hide or disguise them so they could remain in the lifeboat.

Yes, well, Bob. Could you please stop dressing as a woman every time I agree to meet you in London for a day out browsing museums and art galleries, eating nice food, drinking etc. I'm getting fed up with explaining to the police that you think you are Daniel Buckley reincarnated, and paying taxi-drivers to take you back to Liverpool Street.

Monica, you are shattering illusions left and right. I always pictured Bob as resembling Douglas Fairbanks in The Black Pirate - more swash than swish.

Mon, as you well know the only reason I dress in a smart 2-piece and pearls when we step out together is that I think at least one of us should make an effort. :p
Nothing doing in the charity shop, by the way. Phil cleaned them out for his new Spring ensemble.

Yes, the pearls looked good, Bob, but if I were you I'd lose the monocle.

pearls.jpg

The "lettuce" was chrysanthemums, and I wasn't wearing them. I'm the little worried one next to you, in case you've forgotten. Or might I have been the one in the thorn-proof jacket and plus-fours and trilby hat, courtesy of the charity shop, who was taking the photo?

Well, if you can't remember which was you how can you expect me to? You'd best check with Paul Rogers, he's got a good memory for figures. But he never did have any class. 2-tone pearls!! Dear oh dear. Nice hat though.