Man on door how did he get there

T

Taner Tanriover

According to an article by Mrs. Charlotte Collyer, a third-class passenger who was rescued on Boat 14: an asian passenger floating on a door (who had lashed himself with a rope to his frail raft, using the broken hinges to make the knots secure.) was somewhat reluctantly picked up and rescued by Third-officer Lowe.
Does anybody know exactly who he was, and how he ended up on that door? What class was he travelling (or was he a stowaway)? What was his profession?
Whatever it was that happened to him after the collision and until he was picked up by Lowe must have made quite a story. I'd like to find out as much as possible.
Theories are also welcome.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Taner,

I think you mean Fifth Officer Lowe.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
It's often said that the Asian who was rescued by Lowe and company was Fang Lang, one of a group of Chinese stokers who were going to the USA to join a ship. It's a bit speculative, but he must have been one of the group, six of which survived. He certainly was not the only Japanese on board, Matsabumi Hosono, who was in a lifeboat from the beginning.

The evidence comes from the steward George Crowe, at the US inquiry.

"Mr. CROWE. ... also a Japanese or Chinese young fellow that we picked up on top of some of the wreckage - it might have been a sideboard or table - that was floating around..."

The Collyer version of the tale is highly embellished by Collyer or the magazine and is not to be believed. Collyer was not in Lowe's boat and neither were the other women she mentions.

As to how the man got onto the door, he imitated Rose DeWitt Bukater.

T

Taner Tanriover

thanks for the info, everybody.
I understand most of that "secured to door with rope" and Rowe's racist reluctance to pick him up aspects of the story were probably fabricated embellishments. Nevertheless, this person seems to have been party to a group who (reputedly forced) somehow made it into one of the boats before it was launched. I wonder why he was seperated from them. I presume that his story has failed to survive because it was not told in English. So I must conclude that where he was at the time of the ship's final plunge, whether he obtained the flotsam that helped him survive before or after this, how long he was in the water, or the reason(s) he was seperated from his friends will forever remain anybody's guess. Or must I?

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
or the reason(s) he was seperated from his friends will forever remain anybody's guess.

The weight of evidence would suggest that the Chinese men were forward on the starboard boat deck, forming part of a group of desperate men who attempted to swarm collapsible C, until forcefully removed by Murdoch, McElroy, and passengers Steffanson and Woolner (see latter's testimony) To most in the vicinity, the unsettling sight of a single lifeboat resting in the davits would, undoubtedly, have have attracted many to the area as it presented, potentially, the last hope of escape (all other boats on the deck had, by that time, departed.) Somewhow, several of the Chinese sailors remained in the boat (possibly by hiding under the seats) but Fang Lang, Lee Ling, and Len Lam were not as fortunate. Only Lang survived the plunge and subsequent exposure to the icy temperatures while the body of one of his two less fortunate colleagues may have been recovered.

Best,

Ben

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Ben,

The scenario you present is certainly very
plausible, but do we know for certain it was
Fang Lang who went down with the ship and
was picked up? I guess I am still uncertain
as to how the decision was made that it was
Fang Lang and not any of the others. Could
you suggest a source?
Hope you have a Merry Christmas, and I look
forward to seeing you and your coterie in
Southampton!

Best Regards,

Brian

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Brian,

Good to hear from you! I'm afraid that in posting that Fang Lang was the man picked up by #14 I simply assumed that someone knows something I don't, mainly because I hear that particular name a great deal more than the other Chinese survivors (for what reason I don't know). As far as I know, it could have been any of the surviving Chinese men. They were certainly the most elusive of all survivors and I know of no account written by any of the men, nor indeed what became of them afterwards. This would surely shed some light on "who escaped how" etc.

Have a great Xmas. Am very much looking forward to seeing you all again in Soton. It seems only yesterday that I was aimlessly and nervously searching the town for the Hilton :)

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Ben,

I, too, am puzzled by the recent supposition
that it was Fang Lang who was picked up by
Boat 14. Sorry to put you on the spot; but
just as you say, I thought someone had found
something conclusive, though I have not heard
about it.
Talk with you soon.

Brian