Marconi operators

gordon atkin

Mar 18, 2006
From the crew signing on sheets, it appears that Phillips wage was £4.50 per month whilst Bride received just £2.2.6 per month which I understand were paid by Marconi .
These amounts appear very small considering their jobs and expertise eg a turkish bath stewardess received £4 pm.
Was there a reason for this?
Gordon

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The operators received payment from both the shipping line and the Marconi Company. In addition to the amount quoted above, which was the rate for the voyage as paid by WSL, Bride was earning a fixed salary of 4 pounds per month from Marconi.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Bride was quite clear on his earnings. He mentioned that the nominal pay of one shilling a month that applied on some ships was not paid on Titanic. He said he received the amounts quoted above. A payment of only £2.2.6 would put him down with the bell boys.

Phillips received £4.50 from White Star. I've never seen how much he got from Marconi, but about six pounds seems likely.

Parks Stephenson is the one who may know.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It's quite possible that both received the same rate of pay from Marconi for doing essentially the same job. As crew members, however, one man was accorded seniority and increased responsibility and therefore received a higher wage. If they each received £4 from Marconi, the overall difference would be reasonable and Phillips would have been paid a total equivalent to the rate for junior deck officers like Moody and Lowe, which again seems about right. Another couple of pounds and he would have been earning more than the Chief Surgeon and, with due respect for a Marconi man's expertise, that would seem excessive to me.