Marconigrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Whatever happened to all those infamous personal marconigrams sent from the ship on the day of the disaster?

Did any of them contain any earth shattering news that might have justified their transmission?

It would be interesting to learn if any of them still existed, in the Cape Race archives or elsewhere.

Regards Sam

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Get hold of "Signals of Disaster" which contains a few hundred messages, including those sent from Carpathia on the way to NY.

You'll find that the messages are almost all entirely banal comments of the "Having a good time. Wish you were here" variety.

Contrary to legend, the passengers don't seem to have been conducting much business from Titanic. There are few if any orders to brokers and the like.

Craig Sopin

Dec 3, 2000
Hi Sam-

To my knowledge, only one original Marconigram transmitted from Titanic, a message from Captain Smith to Captain Haddock of Olympic, has survived. Hope this helps.

Craig Sopin

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Dave and Craig

Thank you for your replys.

I shall duly hunt out "Signals of Disater" and duly wait for the content of the marconigram Craig mentions!

Kind regards

Sam

Craig Sopin

Dec 3, 2000
Hi Sam-

The Marconigram I mentioned is published only in Titanic: Fortune and Fate (Simon & Schuster 1998). Signals of Disaster is an excellent resource book.

Happy hunting.

Craig

Mar 3, 1998
Sam,

If you're interested in the ADVISELUM messages sent by Phillips to Cape Race, there is no archive of those messages. Be advised that by order of the Postmaster-General, the sending station was to keep copies of all transmitted messages, to be collected monthly by the Line and forwarded to the Comptroller and Accountant-General, London for disposal. At all times, proper precautions had to be taken to ensure their secrecy, as they were private messages. The receiving station did not keep copies of the messages they forwarded. Of course, the sending station in this case foundered, taking all the duplicate copies with her.

What was in those messages? That is only for those who paid to have the messages transmitted to know. The messages transmitted by Phillips could reveal the location of the byzanium aboard Titanic, or simply contain a bunch of innocuous Hey-look-I'm-sending-you-a-message-by-wireless! greetings. My vote is for the latter. What justified their transmission? Money. If you paid about 12s.6d., you could send 10 words through Cape Race (9d. for each additional word) (1910 rates).

By the way, the fact that the ADVISELUM messages sent by Cottam and Bride from the Carpathia were made public was a direct violation of licensing restrictions imposed by the Postmaster-General and would have, under normal circumstances, resulted in Carpathia's wireless operating license being pulled.

Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.