Margaret Devaney

Andy In

Feb 19, 2006
Yesterday i was visiting Holy Name Cemetery and i came upon her headstone. On the headstone there was a person name Kathryn. Who is she? it said on the headstone,
Kathryn A. 1895-1920
J. Joseph O neill 1895-1960
Margaret O neill 1892- 1974.

Does anyone know who Kathryn is? My dad says its Margaret's daughter, but i dont agree with him.

Andy

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
The headstone is pictured here. Since the year of Margaret's birth is only three years before Kathryn's, it's not very likely that they were mother and daughter. Sisters is more like it, I'd think.

;-)

Tony Sheils

Jan 6, 2001
The mystery continues, because (according to Craig Stringer) Margaret was "sister to John, Michael and Mary". Margaret married in 1919 and had 2 daughters, including one called Kathryn, who lived beyond 1920 and both in due course married.

Apr 16, 2001
Hi everyone,

Kathryn Devaney was Margaret Devaney O'Neill's sister. Margaret actually had eight brothers and sisters, three of whom had already emigrated to the U.S. before Margaret came over on the Titanic/Carpathia.

Michael was the oldest Devaney child, and Catherine and Mary were next. Michael was a groom in John D. Rockefeller's stables in New York.

When the Carpathia arrived, the three siblings were at Pier 54 to meet their sister. After her rescue, Margaret went to live with her sisters on Sixth Avenue in Manhattan.

Helen Landsberg, Margaret O'Neill's daughter, said that Kathryn Devaney died of influenza in 1920 never having married.

I hope this clears up the mystery.

Regards to all,

Michael Findlay

Tony Sheils

Jan 6, 2001
Michael, it looks to me as though you have cleared up the mystery. Thanks for that. Your information presumably comes from Margaret (Devaney) O'Neill's daughter, and/or other family members? Craig Stringer seems to have been correct, but incomplete, with his information on Margaret's siblings.

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Tony,

My information does come from Helen Landsberg, Margaret O'Neill's daughter.

Helen told me that all of her mother's nine brothers and sisters emigrated to the U.S. with the exception of her youngest brother John Devaney Jr., who managed the family farm after his parents passed away in Kilmacowen, County Sligo, Ireland.

Regards,

Michael Findlay

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
The 1901 Census shows the family ages to be as follows:

father John (40), mother Margaret (38), seven siblings - Michael (15), Mary (14), Maggie herself (12), Kate (10), John (8), Tim (5), Dominic (3).

As I understand it, "Kathryn" was not the above individual's original given name, but "Catherine."

Apr 16, 2001
Hi everyone,

Somewhere in the Devaney mix were two other brothers: Matthew and ?. Helen said that one of her mother's brothers died young but she nor I have ever been able to track down just what his name was.

Also, one of Margaret's brothers emigrated to the U.S. and after visiting his siblings in New York, he was never heard from again. Margaret never knew what happened to him, and spent the rest of her life trying to find him without success.

Regards,

Michael Findlay

J

Judy Nichols

I'm doing research on Margaret Devaney. If you have any insights or knowledge of her escape or her later life, please share.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted to a different topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same passenger. MAB]