Margaret Madigan

May 8, 2001
God Bless you, and know that you will be remembered forevermore on this date, 12-14, the anniversary of your passing.
Let's all take a moment to remember someone that has eluded so many, for so long.

Apr 16, 2001
Maggie Madigan hasn't been forgotten. Just one month ago, flowers were left at her unmarked grave in Queens, New York, and preparations are being made to have a marker erected over her gravesite.

When Bob Bracken discovered her two years ago, we were saddened to hear many of the details of her life.

She is buried in the New Calvary Cemetery in Queens, right underneath the Long Island Expressway. Interestingly, fellow survivor Katherine Gilnagh Manning is interred just a few feet away. The surroundings at the cemetery are quite noisy with the traffic overhead, but the site overlooks the Manhattan skyline.

May 8, 2001
Thanks for the addendum on Mrs. O'Shea. I look forward to seeing this new gravestone too, and paying my respects to her, next year on a 2005 East Coast grave tour. With any luck, 2005 will mark several unknown graves.
In all fairness in giving credit where credit is due, I learned of the date and details of her life, (and you are correct in saying that some were quite tragic) through a memorial that was placed on another site. In the event others would like to learn more, the URL is....

http://titanic-titanic.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2593

Apr 16, 2001
Thanks for the updated info, Colleen. I appreciate it.

I understand other articles have been written within the last day or so, but you may be interested to know that Bob Bracken's article on Maggie Madigan was recently published last month in Voyage, the quarterly journal of the Titanic International Society. Bob had some interesting photos - including the sad one of poor Maggie's unmarked grave in New York. When we learned this some time ago, we said it wasn't right and wanted to do the right thing. It seemed such a shame that despite all she went though throughout her lifetime that there was no stone to mark her final resting place.

Let us hope that more survivor graves will be marked. There are so many ... representing all three classes, and of course, the crew. Third class and the crew contain the most names unfortunately.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It seemed such a shame that despite all she went though throughout her lifetime that there was no stone to mark her final resting place.<<

Perhaps at some point that can be corrected. I read that link that Colleen posted and the story is indeed an unfortunate one. Especially the way Maggie lost her son whewn he was only 13. I take it this was her only child.

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
There is some interesting information about Margaret Madigan at genforum.genealogy.com/maddigan/messsages/89.
I read here that Margaret died December 14 1968.
According to Senan s book there is wery little information about her stay in America, but I see other researchers have come up with something.