Mari Aina Jussila

Lena Elphick

Dec 22, 2015
I'm writing a book of my mother's memoirs and she remembers Sofia and Ilkka Jussila who lived in Paavola Finland. My mother was told to be respectful of the elderly couple as they had lost their daughters so tragically. My mother, Anni Aino Liisa (Väyrynen) remembers being invited to visit the home of Sofia and Sofia would offer her pulla which is a favourite sweet bread in Finland. My mother told me that Sofia thought that my mother reminded her of her daughters. My elderly mother still has a strong connection to the country of her birth. Having migrated to Australia in 1969, she has visited Finland several times. She went to Luohua to see her uncle who was originally born in Michigan, US of Finnish born migrants. Her father Alfred and uncle Janne moved Oulu, Finland to start new lives. Many Finns migrated to America well before 1900 and some retained their connection to their historic "mother country". These migrations have spread the Finnish culture all across the world. The sinking of the Titanic has added a sad chapter in the history shared by the Finnish and the Americans alike. Lena