Maritime Casualties In The News

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Maritime Executive:

IMO Reaffirms Commitment to Domestic Ferry Safety After Recent Disasters
quote:

Secretary-General Koji Sekimizu has offered his condolences and sympathies to the families of all those who lost their life aboard the passenger ferry Shariatpur-1, which sank yesterday (13 March 2011) after being hit by a small cargo ship in the Meghna River, south-west of the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka.
More HERE

Comment: Yep, overloading was a factor...again!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Indian Express:

Three injured as fire breaks out in ship
quote:

Three persons were injured when a fire broke out on a ship, which was headed towards Kandala Port in Gujarat. The tanker, MT Royal Diamond, owned by South Korean officials was docked at the Mumbai Port Trust on Saturday. The injured sailors were rushed to hospital, where their condition is said to be stable.
More HERE

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From BYM:
Two ships on passage in the Dover Strait collided in poor visibility this morning.
See BYM Marine & Maritime News

From The World Maritime News:
New Zealand: Svitzer Salvors Examine Damage on Rena Wreck Caused by Heavy Weather
See World Maritime News - New Zealand: Svitzer Salvors Examine Damage on Rena Wreck Caused by Heavy Weather

From Zeenews:
Explosion on ship at Mumbai Port; seven injured
See Explosion on ship at Mumbai Port; seven injured

NOTE: Until we get everything situated with the forum, I'll confine my news coverage to shipping casualties and museums, all of which is a vary large part of what we are all interested in.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The World Maritime News:
New Zealand: Rena Salvage Operation on Hold Again
Click on World Maritime News - New Zealand: Rena Salvage Operation on Hold Again

From The Telegraph:
Stricken Azamara cruise ship: passengers praise captain and crew for rescue
Click on Stricken Azamara cruise ship: passengers praise captain and crew for rescue - Telegraph

Comment: I like the second story. In a thread which is an exposition of things going badly wrong, it's refreshing to see something where the people involved got it right!