Maritime Goodies Under the Tree This year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hokey doke, I know this question is going to be asked, so why not get things going. What maritime goodies turned up under the tree this year? I finally have The American Practical Navigator (Bicentennial Edition) "Bowditch" thanks to my folks as well as a copy of the U.S. Naval Institute Press The Worlds Merchent Fleets 1939 (The Particualrs and Wartime Fates of 6000 Ships.)

The Bowditch has, among other things, a nice section on ice navigation which I'm sure will become useful.

Karen Christl

Dec 18, 2002
from a bon bon!! "what do you get if you cross the atlantic with the titanic?" about halfway!!!! i think you have to be really drunk to laugh at bon bon jokes!!! that was the extent of titanic xmas things for me!! (sniff sniff sob sob!)
happy.gif
kaz
happy.gif

Tom Bates

Aug 16, 2002
I got a campania and lucania engineering reprint book,a lusitania engineering reprint book,a ocean liners of the past aquitania shipbuilder reprint book ,a a ocean liners of the past empress of britain shipbuilder reprint book,and 4 books on order '
"the marine steam turbine " a 1919 engineering texbook,the "power of the great liners" book,a aquitania engineering reprint book , and the shipbuilder vol 2.

Jun 4, 2000
I have a couple of mates who think it's a hoot to find me some really tacky Titanica for Christmas. We don't really do the 'present' thing, particularly as I'm not a Christmas person, but jokes and thoughtful little things don't count.

This year it was a very bad die-cast model of Titanic, 'mounted' in a cardboard box and complete with a certificate proving that it's an authentic replica die-cast model. Well, it gave me a laff.
happy.gif

(So did your bonbon joke, Karen. Or was that a groan?)

Karen Christl

Dec 18, 2002
fiona, i think the bonbon joke is a groan/laff depending on how much beer you consume before reading it!! (sadly i had not had enough at that time to find it even slightly amusing!!)
happy.gif
kaz
happy.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Actually, for me, I did not find any maritime items under the tree. However, I made sure that the first ornament on our tree was a SS United States replica, made by model builder Tom Nicolai, and sold through the SS United States Foundation.

John Clifford

Nov 9, 2002
Hey All,
I got JC's Titanic! Finally I dont have to borrow it from anyone and with the money I got I will buy some Titanic stuff.

Sahand

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Looks like some people made out did pretty well, and it the books Tom got are any indication, in short order, he may soon be answering questions on liner engineering rather then asking them. I won't be running to Amazon yet to buy anything that might have been missed. Mum says she has something on order that hasn't arrived yet.

And with the drain on my bank account this season, I may not be buying a lot of things for awhile!
mad.gif

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I didn't receive anything maritime related for christmas this year. I guess the Mrs. figures I have to much nautical stuff.

Oct 28, 2000
For those who want to give themselves a Christmas present...The Village Bookshop in Worthington, Ohio is a remainder/overstock bookseller. As of yesterday had on hand:

1 ea. "The Titanic Conspiracy" by Gardiner & Van Der Vat (paperback)

Several -- "Report On The Loss Of The S.S. TITANIC" this is a hardbound reproduction of the BOT/Lord Mersey final report on the sinking. $3.98

Several -- "Titanic An Illustrated History" by Lynch and Marschall. Softback.

In addition there were stacks of Dan Butler's book and onesy-twosies of other titles. As they do not stock like a regular bookstore, when items are gone they are not replaced.

Phone in the USA/Candada for information (614) 889-2674.

--David G. Brown

B

Brian Hawley

I got a cutaway of Olympic from the 1920s, the American line by Flayhart, and Damned by Destiny. I also picked up a few postcards of Olympic, some photos and brochures for Caronia, and a silver soup tureen from Cunard White Star. Lastly I bought myself Louden Brown's White Star history because I enjoyed looking at Mikes so much last Jan.

Brian
49542.jpg

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I didn't receive any maritime related stuff for Christmas, but I did get a very nice pencil rendering of a Canadian River Class Destroyer.

Ironically, it's one of the ships that my grandfather served on in World War 2.

That's an impressive cutaway of the Olympic, Brian!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

May 8, 2001
Karen. That joke was told on the Muppet show in about 1977 by Fozzy Bear! Statler and Waldorf chimed in and Statler said it wasn't funny because he was on the ship, followed by Waldorf stating "Ya, you still have the dress you wore so they would let you in the lifeboat!"
grin.gif

I probably got one of the best Titanic gifts of all. Plane tickets to Texas to surprise Phil, Pat, and Randy, as well as to meet Doug, John and Glenda. Again, artifacts pictures and memories were brought and shared. We just ate the Collins street cake at dinner, and I regaled my wonderful gift to relatives.

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Colleen!

I received a little Christmas package from the Collin Street Bakery myself. (Wish I could have travelled to Corsicana to pick it up in person.) :)

All my best,

George

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
I received - from a work colleague no less! - a booklet entitled: "Titanic - A Tour To Remember."

It is published by Citibus Tours and I have been told that it can only be obtained on the tour of the Harland and Wolff shipyard and environs. I don't know if this is true, but it's a smashing gift.

Aug 29, 2000
At last I got the soundtrack from Raise the Titanic- now I don't have to rewind the VCR to that sequence when Pitt is walking as if in a trance through the diningroom- you know that haunting melody? John Barry is a genius-I may just have to write to him and tell him. What masterful use of instrumentation throughout- the soaring strings and triumphant brass used in the main theme as the ship emerges from the depths. And who else but Barry would have thought to use a saxophone in that diningroom sequence to produce that hollow, nostalgic effect of a time gone by and great beauty ravaged and lost? The film has few admirers here at ET I know, but that film certainly has some grand moments and a score to equal Horner's.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
I got a lump of coal in my stocking!!!
But, it was Titanic coal!!!
happy.gif

you all have a Happy New Year!!!
-Don

Pat Winship

May 14, 1999
Well, since there were NONE under my tree this year, I'm going to take care of that deficiency, and get Susanne Stormer's bio of Murdoch for myself. From what Inger has told me, it's a must-read.

Pat W.

Status
Not open for further replies.