Mark Baber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Hmmm...so many familiar faces, it feels like Labor Day in NYC. ;-)

Anyway, I'm 46, and a lawyer currently employed by the State of New Jersey in a sort of supervisory capacity. (Cook, hush!) I first saw the film version of ANTR close to 40 years ago and have been hooked since. Along the way I've run out of room in my house for books and tapes on Titanic and other ships, somehow managed to spend far more time I can can really spare on all of this, and (particularly since coming online in 1995) made some wonderful friends.

Although I frequently refer (and refer others) to ET for info and leads to further sources, I am an infrequent poster to this board. (Having no particular expertise or field of interest, I tend to be quiet when more knowledgeable folks are speaking, and in this company, that's most of the time.) I do, however, have very long arms and can keep a great number of reference volumes within reach, and will contribute what and when I can.

MAB

1st P.S. to those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting our host here in person: You should know that Phil H. is an altogether good guy: charming, intelligent, witty, fun and a great drinking companion. A first-rate human being.

2d P.S. to Lorna: Thanks for lending Phil to us two weeks ago; his presence in NY was one of the bright spots in a dazzling weekend.

Sep 12, 2000
Welcome, its nice to "meet" someone who also sits quietly for awhile and just "listens". I did for a long time. But I enjoy learning and sometimes, you just want to know. But also, if I know something or have seen a reference somewhere, it is great to be able to share. Having so many book references is a truly great contribution and I dare say that not all contributors know all of this in their heads....some have great references and notes. Maureen.

Sep 8, 2000
Another NYC participant has arrived!

Nice to see we made it through NY and to Phil's
site.

I agree that Mr. Hind was charming, witty, fun
and held his own in the Irish Pubs!

Looking forward to your participation! ;-)

Rosanne MacIntyre

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Mark -

Always a pleasure to see you in attendence :) And while you might not be the 'loudest' contributer on the block, you're one of the most interesting and well informed. Your posts might not be overly frequent, but they're always pertinent and insightful.

Plus, of course, you're just an all around splendid bloke!

Ing

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Mark!

Hey, old chap -- I'm glad you decided to speak up and make yourself known to everyone. (If you hadn't done it yourself, I was intending to do it for you; folks would have been fascinated to hear about your early years -- the days of hopping freight cars to travel to Florida for Spring Break, the week-long drinking bouts where you'd go through thirty or forty litres of Mountain Dew without batting an eye, the women -- but I'll let tell us about the latter.....) :)

Seriously though, Mark, this bulletin board will be a much richer place for your presence and participation. I'm glad you're here.

All my best,

George

Mar 10, 1998
Mark,
We knew we'd get you here sooner or later. Welcome! Good to see you on any and all forums.

Phillip

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hi, Mark!

Glad to see you here, as some of the others have already posted. Don't let his modesty fool you, folks, I'm always amazed at his research, not to mention his White Star Line histories.

Welcome, oh fellow giant.

Warmest regards,
Cook

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
"Fellow Giant" indeed - in both senses of the word.

Not that often I have to crane my head to look up to anyone...but Cook and Mark could have been the Twin Towers!

Hmmm...Good movie..."Cook: A Tale as Big as Texas". "Baber: A Tale as Big as Titanic herself"...

All the best,

Ing

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Mark:
I dropped off the other two Titanic discussion lists due to a lack of time, and very much miss your "Today in White Star History" postings. Those lists are probably a better forum for that, but I'm wondering if you ever considered publishing the Daily History of the WSL.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
George wrote:
>folks would have been fascinated to hear about your early years

George, please! The blackmail check is only a few days late. Have a heart! ;-)

Phil H. wrote:
>Quote:
>Cook, hush!)
>You're joking aren't you Mark. :)

Of course...except as to one word (which everyone in NY knew but, very kindly, didn't utter for three days). ;-)

Mike wrote:
>I'm wondering if you ever considered publishing the Daily History of the WSL

No, except that I have on occasion printed copies of the whole thing for my own use. Since it is still very much a work in progress, and will continue to be so, any hard-copy version would only be a snapshot of a given day's version, which would likely change within a few days.

MAB

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Hello, Gary---

You're quite welcome. Now, just remind me...where do I send my bill?

;-)

MAB

Gary Watson

Oct 13, 2000
Mark,

Hey, hold on, don't send that bill just yet. What other sites have you up your sleave?
So, Phil H. is witty and a great drinking companion. Lets all three get together and have a beer on me. When your in the Chicago area of course.

Cheers,
Gary

Aug 29, 2000
Mark- it's CQD to the rescue OM! What do you know about a Holland America ship sustaining heavy damage in a storm around Nov. 7 1955- the ship had a movie theatre, swimmingpool on deck and probably 2 funnels and flew the Netherland's flag. Rollie and I are trying to figure out the ship's name- she was on the New York- Rotterdam route. The water came into the diningroom and the passengers went to emergency stations in lifevests-possibly evacuated to another ship! The game's afoot! Head for your books.The thread on this is posted. I promised our Brain Trust could get this in three days!

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Thanks for the heads up, Shelly. I've posted what I could find in the apprpropriate thread.

Best wishes.

MAB

Apr 7, 2001
Dear Mark,

I've seen your Daily White Star Line history in the forums. I am so glad you've taken the time to write these, as they are very much needed by us enthusiasts. You could publish the full Daily History of White Star Line on the web if you have a website. BTW, do you have a website, I'd like the address if you do. If not, maybe Phil could give you a page to publish what you have written...

And what's this about everyone drinkin??? I wanna join you at the pubs too! Sounds like fun! I only wish I lived in England!!

Anyways, nice to have your insights Mark, very nice indeed.

Teri

K

Katie Rosen

Hello there Mark, my very own Carpathia!

My sister just moved to Brooklyn and works down by the South Side Seaport. My parents went out to Ellis Island. I told them the story of when Neal and I were left behind because we were so engrossed with the exhibits. We thought we were done for. I wasn't really sure where we were meeting next.

And then, towering above all the other tourists waiting for the ferry, was my very own, very tall Carpathia, who had come to our rescue. I'll always think of you like that!

Hope all is well with you. Miss your posts on WSL history, but cherish my signed copy from our last evening together.

Stay well my friend, and hope to talk to you soon!

Katie

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Hey, Katie---

Good to hear from you. Hope you, Neal and the little Rosens are all well.

White Star History is temporarily on hiatus, but will be returning later this month. The editor needed a break. ;-)

Best wishes.

MAB

Status
Not open for further replies.