Mark Bray

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Bray

Hello Everyone! My name is Mark Bray. I was born on April 24, 1984 in Spartanburg, SC. I have been interested in the Titanic since I was in the 7th grade, and now I am a Junior in high school. I first read the Discovery of the Titanic, in my 7th grade class and suddenly I was hooked to the subject. Later that year, we watched a video in Science class. I then knew what part of the Titanic I was most interested in, the Survivors. In the video there was some footage of a survivors renunion, I was soooo amazed. I began searching books and the internet to learn more. The first site I came to was this one, and boy has it grown since then with a wealth of information. (Thanks to Phil Hind and the many contributors around the world.) I have befriended many of you good people and some of us have communicated by email. I spend most of my time searching different view points and angles of the Titanic disaster. I like to read mostly about the Survivors, and Millvina Dean is one of my favorites. I have written to many survivor relatives, but never met or wrote to any survivors. Even when I communicate with relatives, I get sooo nervous and get cold chills, but have befriended so many of them , which I am very thankful. I am "pen pals" if you will with many of them. I am not a THS or TI member yet, but hope to be in the near future. I have a large collections of books pertaining to the Titanic, posters, collectors plates and jewerly boxes, bell, videos, cds, cassettes. etc...as many of you have. While not looking Titanic up, I spend time studying for school, and hope to be an oceanographer in the future, and maybe one day considered a Titanic Historian, like many of the list. It is a great title to have. I think this part of the message board is a great idea. I have never met anyone with my same interests, but have only chatted. I think SC must be a place where Titanic Historians, Buffs, and Enthusiasts are low. If any one is close or in my area...i would like to meet some of you guys. I have been working on this scrapbook of Titanic Survivors for about two years now. I have no dreams of publishing it or anything, but it is just for my hobby. Through working on it I have came to know a lot about 19 certain survivors, whom are featured in my scrapbook: Millvina Dean, Bertram Dean, Frank Goldsmith, Frank Aks, Frank Prentice, Louise LaRoche, Louise Pope, Edith Haisman, Eva Hart, Edwina MacKenzie, Ruth Blanchard, Anna Lundi, Marjorie Robb, George Thomas, Beatrice Sandstrom, Eleanor Shuman, Michel Navratil, Washington Dodge, Jr., and Maude Sincock Roberts. These are the main survivors that my scrapbook focus on with pictures, that many of you have sent me, and I thank you all. If anyone ever needs and pictures feel free to contact me and that way I can return the favor to many. I have two sisters: Danielle (18) and Amanda (8) and I am the middle child at age 16. Thank you all for listening and Remember Titanic!

Mark Bray
happy.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Spartenburg? Well now it's nice to see another SC guy on the board. I live over in Easley. We're practically neighbors!

To reiterate a point I made in a different intro, I'm thrilled to see a younger generation take an interest in the Titanic and her stories. That's what will keep her memory alive

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Sep 12, 2000
I agree with Michael....it is great to have younger folks in this group...keeps us on our toes.
Welcome. Maureen.

A

Allison Lane

Mark--

Hi, my name is Allison and I just joined this group, too. And we have some things in common besides a love for Titanic--I'm only a year older than you, and I used to live in South Carolina as well. (Until 1997 I lived in Simpsonville; now I'm outside of Birmingham, Alabama.) I know how it is not to have anyone local to share your passions with.
happy.gif
I'm just amazed and delighted at the level of intelligence on this board; somehow I get the feeling we won't be talked down to because of our youth! I love that!

-Allison L.

Mar 10, 1998
Hi Mark,
Brian Meister of Columbia, SC and I have been talking for sometime about having a gathering of Titanic buffs that live in this area of the country. There are a number of others in the general vicinity--Beckey Payne in Asheville, NC; Roseanne McIntyre in Rocky Mount, NC; there's a guy named Brian in Greenville, NC; and several others in the Atlanta/Macon Georgia area. Besides that, survivor Katie Gilnagh has a granddaughter in Santee, SC; Kate Connolly has a son in Mt. Pleasant, SC; Bert Johns has a niece in Myrtle Beach; William Coutts has a daughter in New Bern, NC; Jean Hippach has a son in Waynesville, NC; and Madeleine Astor's son lives just outside of Charleston, SC. I doubt if we could get the Astor relatives to join us but I feel sure some of the others would. We'll have to work on it in the upcoming months and see what we can put together.

Regards,
Phillip

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mark!

Welcome to ET! I also metioned in a different intro that I'm glad to see younger people taking a interest in the Titanic and her people.

Michael is right, that's what will keep her alive.

Best regards,

Jason D. Tiller

M

Mark Bray

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I hope to talk to all of you guys in time. I am happy to be on the ET Message Board!!!!!!
Regards,

Mark
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.