Mark Chirnside's Book Aquitania The Ship Beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my copy of Mark's new book yesterday, on Aquitania, called The Ship Beautiful.

As Mark is a member of this board, I don't think he'll mind me crowing about it. I ended staying up about 2 hours later than I normally do reading it.

It's a fantastic book, and I highly recommend it to everyone on this board who loves the Liners of the Golden Age.

But, this morning, my 2 other books, Mark's book RMS Majestic - The Magic Stick, and my copy of the book "The Empress of Britain - Britains Finest Liner" were both destroyed by a cup of coffee split by an over enthusiastic Labrador Retreiver.

Hi Grant,

sorry to hear of your book loss - I recall how much you enjoyed the Empress book. I don't think it is even six months you've had your copy?
sad.gif

Best,
Eric

>>I got my copy of Mark's new book yesterday, on Aquitania, called The Ship Beautiful.<<

I was just informed by Amazon.uk that my copy isn't expected to ship until January of next year. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Sorry to hear about the loss, Grant, but losses like this can be replaced assuming your copies can't be dried out.

Eric

You're right. I think I got it from you in June. Next time the dog wants to play at 5:15 in the morning, I'll turn on the light and go outside. My own damn fault, but maddening nonetheless

Thanks for your very kind words, Grant! I am very pleased you enjoyed the book, as that is what makes it worthwhile.

I wonder if you might be kind enough to permit me to quote you on my website?

I was sorry to hear of the damage to your other books. I forget whether I had sold you the Majestic book but, if I did, and you wanted another signed copy then please feel free to contact me privately.

Best wishes,

Mark.

quote:

I was just informed by Amazon.uk that my copy isn't expected to ship until January of next year. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, Michael, but you won't have to wait until January.

If Amazon wait that long to ship it, then it's their problem, for the book was released last month. It is already showing as available on the Amazon.co.uk website, while 'used and new' copies are being listed. Rather worrying that anyone might have bought a copy and decided to sell it so soon!
wink.gif

Best wishes,

Mark.

>>If Amazon wait that long to ship it, then it's their problem, for the book was released last month.<<

Amazon is a strange sort of duck in any incarnation, Mark. I wouldn't be surprised if I was notified of shipment next week or if it took until January to show up. I haven't been disappointed in anything you've penned yet and I don't think I will be this time either.

>>Rather worrying that anyone might have bought a copy and decided to sell it so soon!<<

Their loss, somebody else's gain.

Hi Mike, Mark,

It is a handsome volume and well worth whatever your wait turns out to be. There are many evocative photographs I've not seen before along with enough information dispersed in well crafted text to please any liner buff. Well done, Mark!

Best,
Eric

I hope you do enjoy it, Michael, as it would be a shame to break that run of success.
smile.gif
Thanks for buying it!

I appreciate your kind words, Eric. I am glad you are enjoying the book.

Best wishes,

Mark.

>>as it would be a shame to break that run of success. Thanks for buying it!<<

Keep your research up to the high standards you've maintained since we first exchanged notes and I don't think you'll have to worry about it. I'd be more concerned about the carnage in the financial markets as that could serve to put the whammy on sales.

Mark

By all means you are welcome to quote me.

I don't remember where I bought the RMS Majestic book, but I'll send you a private message when I find the invoice.

"Someone at home tidied up my office, and EVERYTHING is misplaced"
happy.gif

Hi All,

A quick note to those who love good liner books. Most deservedly, this wonderful volume is already in reprint! Bravo Mark!

Best wishes,
Eric

>>Most deservedly, this wonderful volume is already in reprint!<<

Excellant! Keep it up! Some of you might want to consider putting this work on your Christmas wish list.

Thanks for your kind comments.

It got a bit complicated because it was reprinted and even my editor was not told, but fortunately a couple of minor corrections had already been made. However, it's looking like there may need to be a second reprint as well - or third print run.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.