Mark Robert Hopkins was Hola Ibm Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2004
Hi, all! I just received an acceptance from Michael and decided to introduce myself. I did so in a post in another forum entitle "Saved and Lost," but I will do so again in this forum to make sure that everybody sees it.

My name is Mark, and I am a 39-year-old writer/editor/graduate student who grew up on writing fiction and Titanic. I have been doing research on the subject the better part of twenty years or so and find it perpetually fascinating. I have my own library and DVD/video collections, so Titanic is a major and significant part of my life. One of my writing goals is to do a book on Titanic. I am working on various ideas for that now.

Regarding other interests, I speak Spanish and am fascinated by cultures. I am really interested in History, Archeology, Philosophy, Medieval and 19th-century Literature, Web Construction, 1960s pop culture, and all kinds of music. I am presently the short fiction editor for River Walk Journal, and I am also working on various creative writing projects.

One thing that I am looking forward to discussing here is the subject of inconsistency to fact as presented in the various movies, especially James Cameron's version. Don't get me wrong: there's a lot I like about it--especially the digitals and Special Effects--but I am irked by some of the disregards he made regarding fact (such as Cal in Ismay's suite, the 3rd class/1st class romance, the paintings, and the multitude of 1st class women and one 1st class child seen at the end who had apparently died in the disaster--among other things). These disregards were not up for speculation, and it was not mandatory for him to disregard the facts behind these issues. This, also, after he had claimed that his was going to be as authentic as possible. I am a creative writer, so I can understand and appreciate artistic liberty, but when it comes to the Titanic, unless it deals with an issue that remains speculative, my attitude is to stick to fact. After all, it was fact that inspired even the fiction, so the drama there is the purest. For those who know the Titanic, movies lose credibility when they stray from fact by throwing someone else in Ismay's suite or having the Strausses in their cabin during sinking (Mr. Strauss' body was recovered [#96], which means that he could not have been in his cabin, otherwise he would have gone down inside the ship. Since the two were inseparable, it is likely, and proven by the discovery of his body, that the Strausses did not return to their cabin to die there)... Sorry for my rambling, hehe, but you can see how passionate I feel about it.

Enough about me. Actually, I hate talking about myself, but I needed to introduce myself for everyone, lol. So, tell me about yourselves. What got you into the Titanic? I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Until soon, Peace!

--Mark (Hoppy, a nickname. Call me either one)

rob scott

May 4, 2004
well the nice thing about this site, I sure enjoy, you may too, is when a new (new to you that is) thing pops up:
like when you describe how Strauss could not have lain down on the bed in the cabin with wife and still wind up a 'found body'; I ... had never thought of that! see? new things to find out or ponder, poppin up on this site!
b t w, I write some and 'wannabe' a writer, just have to follow that maxim, If you want to be a writer: write more! and keep writing! (drat, have to work more on that one.)
By the looks of some posts on here, there are some writer/editors around here too so you'll be in company.
happy.gif

Jun 12, 2004
Thanks for the kind support, Rob. It's appreciated.
happy.gif

As for the Strauss issue, it isn't new to me, although it has been the first time that I have discussed the issue on a forum. It's just an expression of my own thoughts on history, with a twist of logic.

As for writing, I agree: in order to be a writer, one has to write and keep on writing--words to live by! I look forward to getting to know other writers and editors here as well.

Furthermore, I want to apologize if the commentary on Cameron's movie offended anyone. As stated, I do like the movie, as it is engaging and colorful. I am also aware that there were some social and economic implications being addressed through the making of the movie, and that it wasn't just an expression of a particular historical perspective. I was speaking strictly from a sense of historical fact as it is known and understood, and had no intention of criticizing Cameron's movie-making. Again, I apologize to anyone who may have become offended by my commentary. If the moderators wish to remove that part of my introduction, I would completely understand. I felt the need to say this.

Take care, all

--Mark Hopkins

Status
Not open for further replies.