Marshall Brines Drew

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I am looking for information on Marshall Drew's personality. Was he mischievous, or more well behaved? What would he have done while on the Titanic? If anyone out there can answer these questions, that would be great.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I have checked his bio, and his view on what happened. Do you know any of his mannerisms at all? I know there are some people, and I have e-mailed them, but I'm not sure if she has responded, though I haven't checked my mail yet.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Do you know any of his mannerisms at all?<<

Me personally? No.

I've never met any survivors from the Titanic though I've met some of their decendants. From what I understand he was one of those well mannered, well educated, cultured, yet unpretentious downright nice guys that you couldn't dislike even if you wanted to.

But, that's second hand information.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Hey Michael, thanks for that. I think I could develop a character using those guidelines. Don't worry, though, I'm going to use a pseudonym, not his real name. However, I am going to be using his characteristics. I also hope to mention something about him missing the passenger lists of the survivors because he was having doughnuts and cocoa. That's something that I thought was kind of funny. Thanks again, Michael.
happy.gif

T

Timothy Trower

Ben,

You might want to contact Phil Gowan through the www.Titanic-Titanic.com message board. He will have some interesting insights into the personality of Marshall Drew.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Good news! I went to the library Saturday and found a book titled Titanic: Women and Children First. It contained a well-detailed section on Marshall Drew. Coupled with the information I've received from Michael and from what I've seen on the internet, I believe I have enough information to make a fictional depiction of Marshall Drew. Thanks again for your help.

T

Timothy Trower

Ben,

Again, I would suggest you get into contact with Phil Gowan.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
In the words of Ben Cartwright: "Whoa Hoss!"

Ben, if you want to make a fictional depiction of Marshall Drew which is reasonably accurate, you'll need to go a lot deeper then my extremely limited insights and a single book, however well written. Tim's suggestion to contact Phil Gowan is a good one. He's done some amazing passenger research. You might also want to hold off and see if Shelley Dziedzic has something to offer as...if my memory serves...she knew the man.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I have tried to get a hold of both Shelley and Phil, but my attempts have been fruitless. I haven't gotten to the point where Marshall would come into the story, anyway. I just wanted to be prepared. He would be under a pseudonym, so I would have a relative amount of creative freedom in developing the character. That's why I may have been a bit presumptuous in saying that I would have enough information to make a parody of Marshall Brines Drew. By the way, could anyone help me get in contact with them? Maybe they'll respond to one of you fine people than a lowly researcher like myself.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Some of Shelley's recollections of Marshall Drew are on her website here:

http://www.revdma2.com/Marshall.html

But keep in mind that we all change as we grow older, and the temperament and character of an elderly man are likely to be quite different from those of the child that he once was.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I've seen Shelley's page and bookmarked it. I just need to get a hold of these two fine people. They haven't answered my messages. While it is highly likely that they are just busy, a flagrant disregard of checking one's electronic messages hurts me to the core *sniff*. Just kidding. Sorry if I seem a little out of sorts, I'm working on a diminished supply of sleep here. That's not good in my book. I don't get done with school and such for another 12 hours. Lucky me, wouldn't you say?

Back on topic, though. Could they just not be e-mailing me back because they have no idea who I am? Do you think I should e-mail them again? If I am not e-mailed soon, I may start a rough character likeness to him, based on my own limited knowledge. However, the characters in my story have yet to enter the Titanic, so there is still a bit of time before I need any heavy duty information.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Maybe they're not replying because they do know who you are, Ben. Just kidding!
smile.gif
. Shelley and Phil are helpful people, but they might well have other priorities at the moment, and in any case we aren't all online every day or even every week, so you might need to be patient. If it takes a few days that's normal, if a few weeks you might want to send a brief reminder. In general, you're more likely to get a quick reply if you ask a few very specific (and easily answered) questions rather than ask for information in breadth, which takes a lot longer to provide.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
quote:

Maybe they're not replying because they do know who you are, Ben.
That hurts, Bob. That hurts me real deep.
happy.gif

Nah, I know I'm being impatient. It's just that I don't have a lot of time and I want to get as much research done before I leave for two years. Are you insinuating that I am online everyday? Because if you are, you're probably right. *Sigh* I need a life.​

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Ben,

I hope that I might be able to help here. I believe Shelley may be away at the moment.

Thanks to Shelley's kindness, I met Marshall Drew on numerous occasions starting in 1984. Marshall would regularly come to Shelley's home to visit with Titanic friends. I remember him having a wonderful sense of humor, dry in a way, but he was very friendly and interested to talk with anyone who shared his love of history, the art world, photography and life in New York.

I was always amazed at how much Marshall's recollections of the Titanic disaster were full of detail. I especially remember his telling of the morning of rescue. He remembered waking from his slumber in the bottom of the lifeboat and looking out on a sea filled with icebergs, some of which were so close "you could reach out and touch them with the oars!" Marshall also would laugh at his memories of the other kids being hauled aboard the Carpathia in coal bags and sacks. He remembered how silly they seemed to be crying and carrying on during the rescue, and how, he, as a "cool" kid, couldn't wait for the adventure of being hoisted aboard the Carpathia. After he arrived on deck, he said he almost wanted to be given another opportunity to be "lifted" aboard since he enjoyed the experience. He then recalled, as is well known, that he went in search of food, and didn't even wait for his Aunt Lulu to follow him. He was later found mingling with some Carpathia crew members who were "showing" him the ship.

I can recall so many details of Marshall's stories that it would take a book to relate them all. If you have anything specific that you would like to know, please don't hesitate to ask.

Marshall's sense of humor was contagious. I remember him telling the story of driving down the dirt road leading to Shelley's house after a night of Titanic talk and a drink or two. Shelley can tell the story better than I, but apparently Marshall, in his little sports car, drove up the wall of the dirt road and his car flipped over. Shelley found him the next morning and his first response was "I was following the road, and than I found myself looking up at the stars!"

Marshall was a beloved character in his hometown of Westerly, Rhode Island. It would not be unusual to see him speeding down one of the roadways enroute to an art show or photography club meeting. He had countless numbers of friends who all loved his wit and positive outlook on life. Even in his 80s, his mind was much younger and he yearned to capture anything nature beautifully created - either through his camera lens or his painting tools. He was extremely "independant" and very feisty.

Shelley and Marshall were the best of friends, and I will always be grateful to Shelley for giving me the opportunity to meet Marshall. The few years that I knew him, he made an unforgettable impression, and I will always remember his correspondence - the envelope always being completed with caligraphy. I almost hated to open the envelope for fear of ruining his work!

Perhaps when Shelley finds a moment, she can and will relate more. Her memories of this remarkable man are fascinating to hear.

I hope this information will be of help, Ben, and good luck on your project involving Marshall Drew.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Thank you, Michael. I've been looking for something like this. Maybe you and Shelley should get together and write a biography on Marshall Drew. If you did, I'd read it in a heartbeat. I had one question about the above text, though. What do you mean by Carpathia crew members "showing" him the ship? Apart from his escapades aboard the lifeboats and Carpathia, did he ever talk about his escapades on the Titanic? From this general perspective, Marshall Drew sounds like someone I would have liked to meet. He seems to have liked stuff that I enjoy myself. And judging by the pictures on Shelley's site (which I bookmarked, not knowing the author), he had an excellent taste in hats.
happy.gif
Overall he seemed like a good person.

Do you think that I could use his actual name, Michael, or would you, as an old friend of his, prefer I use a pseudonym?

T

Timothy Trower

Phil works in the field, and doesn't have regular access to his personal email ... just be patient!

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Ben,

Thank you for the kind words.

A book about Marshall Drew - well, perhaps someday. I believe Shelley would be the ideal candidate to undertake such a project since she was so much more closely associated with Marshall.

Regarding Marshall on the Carpathia, I was referring to an account he gave one time. Apparently, after he reached the deck of the Carpathia and went in search of food, he then befriended several crew members who offered to give him a tour of the ship. He later theorized that this was probably the reason his name came up on many lists of the lost, since he failed to give his name to the proper officials who were recording the names of the survivors. Marshall's aunt later found him below decks on the Carpathia on one of his "tours."

In regards to the Titanic, Marshall remembered much. Starting off in Southampton, he remembered walking on the boat deck, and going into the gymnasium where he played for awhile. He was on deck with his aunt and uncle and witnessed the near collision with the liner New York. He remembered his having meals in the dining room, but noted that he never recalled playing or befriending any other children in second-class. On the night of the disaster, Marshall declared that he was in bed but not asleep when the impact occured. He was somewhat bothered that several authors up to that time had written that he was in bed asleep. In any event, he remembered the collision and his uncle going up on deck to learn of any news. While his uncle was gone, he remembered his aunt getting him out of bed and dressing him. After leaving their cabin on E-deck, Marshall remembered climbing the several flights of stairs to the boat deck. When the Drews arrived topside, Marshall recalled hearing "music" being played off near first-class. He later said that, unlike the movies, the boat deck was very dark. He remembered looking aft toward the stern and noticing how everything was pitch black. Marshall witnessed the sad farewell between his aunt and uncle but naturally didn't comprehend the seriousness of the situation. He fully expected to see his uncle again. Once down on the ocean, Marshall remembering feeling very tired. Before he fell asleep in the bottom of the lifeboat, he witnessed the Titanic's final moments. After the lights went out, he remembered seeing a series of sparks and loud noises which led him to believe that the ship was breaking apart. After the terrible ordeal was over, Marshall fell asleep and only woke up the next morning when the Carpathia was in view.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use Marshall's actual name for your report but the decision is yours. Many researchers have written about Marshall Drew.

If I can help with anything else, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Mike Findlay

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Michael Standart, I've looked in the other threads. They didn't have the information I needed, so I started my own.

Michael Findlay, thanks again. The reason I asked if I could use his name is because I am writing a fictional story. I don't want to end up misrepresenting him, but then I want the people to know his personality, as many books fail to grasp this concept. I am going with a little literary freedom. The main character and his brother are similar to Marshall, in that they are raised by the surrogacy of their aunt and uncle. As such, they would become fast friends, as they are interested in the same things.

What's funny about that is I had no idea about Marshall Drew until I started researching information for the book (and causing the experts here no end of trouble
happy.gif
). I had decided that my M.C. would be raised by his aunt and uncle, but had no inclination to do so because I had read it somewhere else. By simply reading Marshall Drew's biography, I decided that I wanted him to be in my story, either under a pseudonym or otherwise. If you feel that I should not use his actual name, Michael F., then I will not.

Another thing, Michael F., what did Marshall do during his free time on the Titanic? The book, Women and Children First said he would wander around, get lost, and then find his way back to his aunt and uncle. Is that the only thing he did?

One final thing, can you tell me all you can (if you want to of course, you've already helped me profusely) about Marshall Drew's personality? Did he ever talk about his personality as a child? If not, that's perfectly fine, I just was jumping at the possibility that he may have.