Marshall Brines Drew

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I just read about the dinner at Shelley's house, Michael. Did it ever air on national television, or was it more of a local thing? Would it be on any tapes about the Titanic that you might find at the local public library?

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Ben,

The dinner at Shelley's house was aired by the local news station in Providence which covered much of New England. Shelley recreated the second-class dinner menu in Marshall's honor. After the toast, Marshall exclaimed "Hurray!" He truly enjoyed the attention but did get a little tired of the newsmen, their huge cameras and the bright lights! After they left, he exclaimed, "Thank God!"

I believe I have a copy of that program, but I will ask Shelley as I know she does. The segment was filmed almost twenty-five years ago - hard to believe.

Regarding Marshall's personality as a child, I remembered he told me that growing up in Greenport, Long Island, New York, he was always with "a gang" of kids. He learned to play some musical instruments (I forget which ones but I do remember him saying the yukalalee). I think he was active in scouting.

I'll have to get back to you tomorrow, Ben, on some more memories as I have an appointment to attend to. I don't mind your questions at all. I remember how enthusiastic I was during my years of Titanic research.

Best regards,

Mike Findlay

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Michael,
I have one quick question, in addition to Marshall's adventures on the Titanic, if you have the time. What is the probability that Marshall would have befriended someone older than him? I need to see if I need to change the age of my M.C. in my book, which wouldn't be difficult. Add a few words here, a couple there. You get the picture
happy.gif

Just so the questions I have are evident and easy to remember, all I want to know at this point in time are: (1)Marshall's adventures on the Titanic, if there are any, (2)if you thought I could use his name in a fictional story, and (3) the probability of him befriending someone older than him. If you don't have an answer to the last question, that's all right. I will just change my character's age to be safe. You've already helped me tremendously and I appreciate it. I look forward to further correspondence with you.

Cordially,
Ben Lemmon

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Michael,
Sorry if I am bothering you or am becoming a nuisance. I don't mean to do so. However, I am nearing the part where Marshall would become a character in the novel. I no longer need answers to the following question: What is the probability of him befriending someone older than him. The character's age has been changed to match that of Marshall Drew. I would, however, like to know if you could answer the following two questions:

(1) What were some of Marshall's adventures on the Titanic?
(2) Do you think that I could use his actual name in the story, or do you think that I should go with a pseudonym, one of which I have already found?

I am sorry again if I am being intrusive. If you don't want to answer the questions, I understand. On the other hand, however, thank you profoundly for sharing your knowledge of Marshall Drew with me. I don't think I have met anyone as accomodating as you. You take time out of your daily schedule and answer my trivial questions, many of which you have probably answered before (and are probably getting tired of answering). Thanks again, and I hope to hear from you soon, if you find the time.

Cordially,
Ben Lemmon

P.S. If you want to know, the pseudonym I have picked out for Marshall would either be Stuart Andrew Brackley, or Stuart Andrews. If you and Shelley would like, I can discard the pseudonym and create a fictional depiction of Marshall.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
It . . . is . . . TIME!!!

Everyone (or at least, everyone who cares), the characters have arrived on the Titanic. I have arrived to the point in time where Marshall Brines Drew, cleverly cloaked under the pseudonym Robert Andrew Mason. Although this is fiction and Mr. Drew will be hidden under a sobriquet, I still wish to portray him as accurately as possible. I do not wish to portray him in a inaccurate way, for fear of hurting those who were closest to him (i.e. Shelley Dzeidzic, Michael Findlay and Marshall's family). So! this is the moment of truth. Anyone who wishes to reveal some normal, non-intrusive information would have my eternal gratitude. Please!? I'm really tired of hearing myself talk.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Hello again, everybody. I have some more questions about Marshall Drew.

Now I know that he was on the Titanic with his aunt and uncle, and I know that he lived with them. However, I am wondering why he did, considering his father was still alive. I know his father loved him, as I have read that he was full of gratitude when he saw his supposedly lost son. When Aunt Lulu remarried, though, why did he go to live with his grandparents instead of his father? I'm not judging his father, I was just curious about the situation. I would appreciate it if anyone with information could help me out on this aspect.