Marshall Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
How is it we know that Marshall Drew was in boat 10, instead of 11 which was always believed to be the case?
Mike

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Mike,

Although this response is a bit late, I thought it would be important to answer your question for the record.

Marshall Drew always claimed that he was in lifeboat #11. He told me this several times - both in letters and during my many visits with him during 1985 and 1986. Marshall clearly stated that when he looked over his right shoulder, he was looking toward the stern. He figured that he was in lifeboat #11. He had remarkable memories of the night of the sinking. He even remembered hearing the band playing off in first-class.

However, Marshall's aunt gave a very detailed account of the sinking shortly afterward. Lulu Drew described incidents that tend to place she and Marshall in a "port-side" boat. She described that her boat was not full, and she alluded to the fact that her boat "was tied up to others." Lifeboat #11 was filled to capacity, and was never tied up to another boat. Marshall himself told me that he curled up in the bottom of the lifeboat and went to sleep following the sinking. In lifeboat #11, this would have somewhat difficult.

I have not placed Marshall or his aunt in any specific lifeboat since it is still somewhat of a mystery. It has been difficult to separate the memories of an eight-year-old boy and his aunt who both give conflicting accounts. I think it is fair to say that Marshall's aunt might be the more credible witness since she was an adult. Although Marshall's memory was keen regarding the events of that night so long ago, some of those memories may have been enhanced by his aunt and by his own research into the disaster through extensive reading. I still am open for the possibility that the Drews left in a "starboard" boat since I cannot figure out how Marshall could not have known which side of the ship he departed from. He might not have gotten the boat number correct but he was alert enough to know which side of the ship he was on.

Marshall was always annoyed that Walter Lord's "A Night to Remember" stated "that he sleepily protested that he didn't want to get up when the Titanic struck the iceberg." Marshall clearly stated that he was awake when the disaster took place and never made a fuss when told he would have to get dressed and go on deck. Walter Lord admitted to him that this comment was "a concoction" of his but that he (Lord) originally read this in an interview from Mrs. Drew (source unknown.) So, the mystery continues...

Regretably, Marshall died before Lulu Drew's account was discovered in 1987. How often I wish we could given him that account just to see hear his comments. He would have been fascinated to hear about his aunt's contradictory account. When he saw his aunt's claim against the White Star Line, his eyes were like saucers. For the first time in 73 years, he learned what his family lost aboard the Titanic.

I hope this will answer the question.

Regards,

Michael Findlay

V

venus33

I have a question for you Michael Findlay. I'm assuming your the Titanic researcher I've heard of? I'm new to this Titanic researching hobby.

I would like to know why grave #243 E.J. Stone here in Halifax has that name on it? Two "Stones" worked on the Titanic and ironically both bodies were recovered. One, #41 was given the initial J. as being found with the bodie's effects and was buried at sea, while the other #243 was given the initial E. with his effects and buried here in Fairview. I have contacted the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (and they are now wondering themselves), as well as several other "Titanic resources" to find a J. associated with the Stone grave #243. It seems that the two Souls have been combined into one. My last name is Stone and I feel a connection to this mystery. Can you explain it to me without just saying it was a mistake?

Thanks for any thought you may give this question.

Feel free to email me with any information you may have.

Venus

Dec 13, 1998
Dear Venus, I think I might be of help to you as well; there were indeed two stewards by the name of Stone whose bodies were recovered and identified;

first class steward Edmund Stone (body 243) and
second class steward Edward Thomas Stone (body 41), note that there was no 'J' involved; that must have been some sort of a misinterpretation in 1912; the letters 'J' and 'T' are often misread in lists. I hope I got the numbers right, I often seem to mix these two gentlemen up regarding what number the respective body was...

Peter Engberg-Klarström

V

venus33

Dear Peter,

This is what the Record of Bodies and effects says about body #41 (buried at sea)

NO. 41. - MALE. - ESTIMATED AGE, 22. - HAIR, FAIR.

CLOTHING - D. B. coat and pants; white steward's jacket marked "J. Stone"; black boots and socks.

EFFECTS - Two knives; pawn ticket; silver watch and chain; pencil; keys "service ford E.Deck, 1st stateroom, 1 to 40"; bill made out to "J.Stone."

TATTOO - On right arm, snake, mouse, and eagle; on left arm, a lighthouse and anchor, and full rigged ship.

STEWARD.
NAME - J.

As you can see his white Steward's jacket was marked J. Stone. So, that would mean his work jacket had the wrong initial on it! Then they found a bill he had in his pocket with the initial J. on that, so that's a mistake too? J. would have been his first name don't you think?

This is what was found with body #243 (buried here)

NO. 243. - MALE. - ESTIMATED AGE, 30. -HAIR,DARK.

CLOTHING - Black cloth overcoat; steward's coat; vest and pants; pajamas; "Stone" on trousers.

EFFECTS - Gold snake ring; two knives; ship's keys, marked '2nd Stateroom'; button hook.

TATTOO - On left arm; Japanese dragon; on right am, American flag and clasped hands.

STEWARD.

On this body there isn't even a reference to E. let a lone J. It was obviously figured out later
by his employee records that his name was Edward, but there is still no J. associated with this body. This body was buried right after the sinking. I can't find any evidence linking a J.
with body #243. Several Titanic resources list his first name as Edward but Bob Knuckle lists his middle initial as F. where this site lists him as T. I work as an intuitive Peter and the "mistake" theory doesn't sit well with me. Thanks for the response though.

Venus

Dec 13, 1998
Dear Venus! I am sorry if I didn't state where the names came from: they are both from death announcements in the local press at the time as well as from birth certificates for the two gentlemen: there simply was no 'J Stone' on the Titanic, the two gentlemen above were, however. There were several cases of mistaken initial among the passengers and crew made by the officials at the time: I don't know why. Anyway, there were two stewards Stone on the ship, one was Edmund Stone (no middle name) and there was an Edward Thomas Stone, but no J Stone.

Best regards,

Peter

Dec 13, 1999
Actually I read in several books: first class steward “Edmond J. Stone”. So there was indeed a J. Stone on the ship. Hope I helped.

Charles

V

venuss33

You both helped...

Thanks so much.

Hey Charles...got a name for them there books?
:)

Hey Peter...so you believe that Stone's jacket initial was a mistake and the bill with J. on it is too? Maybe J. was his nick name?
:)

Lisa Stone

Feb 4, 2000
Hello,

It's been seven years since I posted, my name was venus33 in this old thread. I just wanted to post links to my website about the two Stone crewmen and a link to my video now on YouTube filmed on the 95th Anniversary of the sinking. I have received many emotional letters and high ratings for this amateur video, to my complete surprise.

Titanic Graves 95th Anniversary Video & Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjtyHzZVRQQ

Here is the link to my research page. Special thanks to Steve Coombes, David Searle and E.J. Stones family members Brian and Jane Watkins of New Zealand.

Titanic Research Two Stone Crew Members
http://www.mysteriousnovascotia.com//titanicresearchstonebodies.htm

Shocking to me also was the recent announcement that the wrong Unknown Child was identified, especially since it was DNA evidence. You can read about my emotional journey when the bodies were exhumed in 2001 and the updates.
http://www.mysteriousnovascotia.com//bodiesexhumedindex.html

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.