Martin Pirrie seriously injured

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I have just come home prematurely from my cruise to be greeted with very bad news.

Our occasional contributer, Martin Pirrie, grand-nephew of Lord Pirrie, has suffered a very heavy fall, in which he fell through a ceiling and landed on the floor below.

He suffered near-fatal multiple fractures, including one to his skull. He was in a very serious condition but survived and is now semi-lucid. He is expected to recover considerably, but only after many months of therapy.

I am particularly dismayed by this incident, as Martin was especially kind and helpful to me when I was writing my book.

May 27, 2007
I too want to add my Good Wishes for a speedy recovery. I don't know him but it sounds like he took quite a tumble. I hope Martin Pirrie is better soon.

Geo. Lorton

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I've just heard that Martin is slowly recovering and is undergoing extensive rehabilitation. He is allowed to leave the facility at weekends. He is able to walk and retains his sense of humour. There's still a long way to go. I'm hoping to hear directly from him soon.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I regret to advise that, almost a year after his accident, Martin continues to face serious problems. I won't say much, as I don't care for gossip about medical matters, but he is still living in a rehabilitation centre. At one stage he was unable to go home for weekends, but he is now doing so. He retains a rather black sense of humour, but he is not to be envied.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I've just heard from Martin. He's up and about after 2½ years in hospital. He's taking and interest in Titanic and lurking here. Yippee!!