Marty Oppenheim Forest Hills NY here

Jun 6, 2003
I have been fascinated by the Titanic since as a 12 year old boy in 1962, I read "A Night to Remember" for school & saw the old Clifton Webb/ Barbara Stanwyck "Titanic" movie on Saturday Night at the movies. I have been hooked ever since. I live in Forest Hills, NY and have researched the Titanic ever since. I am so impressed by the level of scholarship by the participants of this site. I would like to mention that the Isidore Strauss memorial placque that was in Macy's Department store on West 34th Street in Manhattan is now closed off to the public. My particular interest is the second class & steerage passengers.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Martin,

Welcome aboard! This is the best site for all things Titanic.

I visited the Straus memorial a couple of years ago and really enjoyed seeing it. I am curious as to why it is now closed to the public?

Hope you enjoy it here!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jun 6, 2003
Hi Jason: It looks like Macy's is renovating and closed off the entrance. That entrance at one time appeared to be the main one but it has since moved to the one on 6th Avenue. I hope that they do move the placques as they are a vital part of history and as Macy's just celebrated their Centennial last year, it's almost hypocritical. Maybe we can get a campaign going. One of these days, I want to visit Grace Episcopal church and look for Edith Evans's placque. have you seen it?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Martin,

Is the entrance closed temporarily or permanently? If it's closed off for good, then they should definitely move the plaque. I agree it's a huge part of history and it should be where people can see it, not hidden away. Lobbying the right people is a good start.

I haven't seen the plaque to Edith Evans, but I would like to. One of these days, I'll get back to New York and see the rest of the Titanic sites.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jun 6, 2003
Hi Jason..It's hard to tell about the entrance as it appears to be walled off. I have to try looking into it from inside the store on my next visit. They may have even moved the placque elsewhere that I have not noticed. I only noticed when I wanted to show it to my partner & realized it was walled off. This site is so awesome and everyone seems so well informed. It is so nice to be a part of such a community of kindred spirits. I have several shelves of Titanic books in my library & a really good disaster book collection as well. I just finished new books on the General Slocum & Krakatoa. The Slocum was excellent, and the Krakatoa was a bit meandering but the author had quite a level of scholarship. I just got the Debbie Beavis & the Cris Kohl - Great Lakes Connection & look forward to reading them.