Mary Celeste 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Smith

Dec 14, 1998
...headline of an interesting little story that appeared in the UK press yesterday -
The 60 ft long Indonesian-registered High Aim 6 has been found drifting 90 miles off North West Australia, minus it's crew of 12. The ship was in perfect condition, and there was food and drink set out on the galley table. She'd apparently been set on autopilot and had sailed herself until her fuel ran out. Last known contact with the crew had beeen a month earlier when she was off the Marshall Islands. There had been no bad weather in the region for weeks, and there's absolutely no indication of why the crew would choose to abandon her.

Cool, huh?

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Now THAT is freaky!

Wonder if she ran into local pirates? I think there may be some that still operate out in the Western Pacific.

Cool post Steve!

-John

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
This story also appeared on the CargoLaw Website I tend to doubt pirates are involved if only because there was no sign of any sort of violence. My bet is that something spooked the crew into thinking they would be better off in the boats then remaining with the ship. A bad gamble by the looks of it.

Piracy is indeed quite a problem in this area and the website I gave that link to offers up fresh reports almost daily.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I am really like Dave Gittins suggestion on the situion in the New Age thread. Bad weather may have struck and she may have taken a list. The crew decided to abandon ship and where never heard from again.

This sort of happened fairly recently in the Berumda Triangle. I a Royal Navy frigate spotted a abandoned sailing vessel. The vessels occupants couldn't be found. It turns out they where diving and the ship lost it's anchor and drifted away (or so the story went). It was featured on a Discovery Channel special on the Berumuda Triangle. I will have to look it up.

Steve Smith

Dec 14, 1998
That's a good site Michael.. thanks for the link...
Have you seen the latest update they've got on this particular story? The mobile phone belonging to the missing chief engineer has been used 80 TIMES since the vessel was first reported missing - but the calls were made from within Indonesia!
Curiouser and curiouser...

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yep...just caught it. Seems the phone is in use, but I doubt the Chief Engineer is the one using it. Dead people seldom have much use for phones. If pirates are the ones behind this, then they did a pretty good job of getting rid of the crew.

J

Joshua McCracken

Frankly the lack of a struggle onboard the ship kind of puzzles me, and the use of the phone in Indonesia only makes me more confused. If the ship was attacked by the pirates, why aren't there any signs of a struggle? I doubt the crew would have allowed themselves to be shanghaied without a fight, and I doubt that they would have taken the time to make sure that the ship was in order to hide signs of violence. Was the lifeboat missing? I know that it's common practice for pirates to cut loose the lifeboats to make it seem like the crew abandoned ship and was then lost. More than anything else, the use of the phone is strange. If the crew did abandon ship and found their way to Indonesia, I would expect them to be trying to contact their families, but there's no mention of anything being heard from the crew. If the ship was attacked by pirates, then they're not being very discreet in their actions. I liked the reference to the Mary Celeste, that's always been an interesting topic of discussion. If the ship did run into foul weather, without a noticeable breach in the hull I would never have recommended that the crew abandon ship in a lifeboat much smaller than the ship and with a much better chance of capsizing. But you mentioned earlier that the galley was set up in preparation of a meal, and unless everything was tossed about then the bad weather idea is probably null too. Very strange... sorry if I ran off into a tangeant, but it looks like this is yet another mystery that I'm going to become very interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.