Mary Hoehling Titanic author passes away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
I regret that Mary Hoehling, who co-authored many books about ocean liner disasters with her husband Adolph, passed away in Venice, Florida. She died on December 7th, a day before her birthday. She was best known for 'The Last Voyage of the Lusitania', but also penned an impressive number of books including;
They Sailed Into Oblivion ( where she and her husband interviewed Washington Dodge, Jr. ),
Lost at Sea, Who Destroyed the Hindenburg, December 7, 1941: The Day the Admirals Slept Late, Great Ship Disasters, etc....

I had the pleasure of corresponding with her husband on numerous occasions and he was most helpful. You can tell by reading their books that much effort and research went into them.
Their main point was that history was NOT boring.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hello Michael,
I don't know if it is online. It may be, but this came from a few friends that have the obit.
I don't know if it helps searching for it online, but her maiden name was Duprey.
Mike

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm afraid not, although it does help with finding some of the books she wrote.
wink.gif
I suppose one of the local papers in Venice Fl. would carry the obit and death notice, but it doesn't stand to reason that any of those papers would have an on-line presence.

Jan 7, 2002
I'm sad to hear that....a paperback of "the Last Voyage Of The Lusitania" was the first shipwreck book Ive ever read.....
VERY good book.
The Hoehlings also wrote an excellent book about shipwrecks.

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Status
Not open for further replies.