Master and Commander

Aug 2, 2008
After watching the movie "S.O.S. Titanic," I have tried to find some information about the ship's MAA. I found out that there were two MAA's: Henry John Bailey (who survived the sinking) and Thomas W. King (who died in the sinking). I figured that that any information on those two shipboard enforcers sank to the bottom of the seas of history. As long as we have history sleuths such as Senan Molony, the RMS Titanic will still rest at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, but her stories will continue to be raised.

Jack11955

Sep 9, 2010
My Grandmas first husband went down on the Titanic..."Henry Brewer" he was a stoker..who had a son out of wedlock.."Harry Brewer" my step uncle... I guess if the Titanic didnt sink...I would not be here..

Aug 2, 2008
The uniforms worn by MAA Henry Joseph Bailey look like the "fore and aft" uniforms of the Royal Navy. In the photo iin which he is wearing the uniform headgear, the cap device is that of a petty officer. This uniform is still worn by those holding the rank of petty officer and above (CPO, warrant officer and commissioned officer). The uniform with the lapel emblems (of a specific specialty branch) is that of petty officer. (Unlike the PO of the U.S.Navy, the RN doesn't divide the PO rank into three classes.) The CPO doesn't wear the emblem of his specialty branch (i.e., Regulating Branch, Supply & Secretariat, Stoker, etc.), but he wears silver buttons around the sleeve cuff of his tunic. I have also noted the absence of the "Good Conduct Badges," which are chevrons (points down) worn on the left sleeve, mid way between the shoulder and the shoulder. Each chevron is awarded for four years of good conduct. Up to three are worn. Instead of a fourth chevron, the Royal Navy Long Service & Good Conduct Medal is awarded. (The RNLS&GCM is one of the oldest medals awarded for enlisted personnel and goes back to the 1800's.) CPO's, WO's and commissioned officers also do not wear the Good Conduct badges on the sleeves. (If awarded any LS&GCM, it is worn with their decorations.) The medals worn look like the Khedive's Egypt Star and presumably the Egypt 1882-1889 campaign medal. In addition to the absence of Good Conduct Badges, there is an obvious absence of the RNLS&GCM. In the other photo, the uniform looks like an old warrant officer's uniform. Note the braid on the lower sleeve, which looks similar to that of a sub-lieutenant. Actually a S/LT wears a broader braid. I don't know about the chevrons worn over the braid. This WO rank is no longer in use in the RN. (Today, there are two WO grades, which are senior enlisted ranks, similar in appearance to the CPO.) What is curious is the beard and moustache. Since 1868, the men in the RN have the options of either wearing full-beards of being clean-shaven. This grooming standard remains in effect to this day.

Aug 2, 2008
The photographs of MAA Henry Joseph Bailey reveal some interesting details. Both of the Royal Navy uniforms are known as the "fore & aft" uniforms, which are worn by petty officers, chief petty officers, warrant officers and commisoned officers. The PO uniform is the one with the lapel insignia. The full-sized medals appear to be the Egypt 1882-89 campaign medal and te Khedive's Egypt Star. Due to Bailey's disciplinary infractions, his PO uniform doesn't have any Good Conduct Badges. A Good Conduct Badge is a point-down chevron for each four year period of exemplary conduct. It is worn on the left sleeve. Up to three are worn. Instead of a 4th chevron, the Royal Navy Long Service & Good Conduct Medal is awarded. The chevrons are not worn by those holding the rank of CPO or higher, but the RNLS&GCM is worn by those who recieved it during enlisted service. The RNLS&GCM is also not in the pictures. The uniform, with the rank which looks similar to that of a Royal Navy sub-lieutenant, is that of an old-time Royal Navy warrant officer. (I don't know what the two points-up chevrons represent. Can anyone tell me?) The WO braid on the lower sleeves or shoulder boards is not as broad as that of the S/LT. That WO rank was discontinued since, I believe, around 1949. The Royal Navy WO of today is a senior CPO rank and is divided into two classes. I also noticed that MAA Bailey wore a moustache and a trimmed beard in his Navy pictures. Since 1869, the grooming standards of the Royal Navy give men the option of wearing a full beard and moustache or be clean shaven. I believe that Bailey was either posing in his old uniforms after his retirement or else was not in compliance with Admiralty grooming regulations.

Aug 2, 2008
Not all accidents have bad results. There is not much biographical info on Henry Brewer, other than than he was 30 years old when he died aboard the RMS Titanic. How about filling in some of the gaps in his story? Some of us Titanic buffs and armchair historians would be interested. A stoker's life was tough, full of hard work and long hours under arduous, dangerous and unhealthy conditions.

Beckspeck34

Dec 19, 2010
Interesting reading about him. His name was written on the history of my last name; "Bailey" and said he was survivor ont he Titanic, as there was also another Bailey who did not survive. Interesting tracking down family History, of course I do not know if he has any relation to me, seeing my great grandparents come from ireland and Norway. I don't know much on my dad's side of the family though. However, I would like to do further research--rebecca Age 14

Jun 8, 2015
I have just discovered that two crew survivors of the Titanic - Henry Job Bailey & Arthur John Bright were married to two Hooper sisters who were the daughters of William Barter Hooper, the brother of my Great Grandfather Thomas Hooper - a very small world indeed. Michael Merritt Adelaide South Australia Formerly of Westerton Sussex & Portsmouth Hampshire