Master at arms

capyb5

Dec 11, 2016
So, in the movie Titanic (1997) Leonardo Dicaprio's character Jack gets handcuffed to a pipe for stealing. Is this accurate? How would thieves be dealt with on the real Titanic?
And what about bigger groups of people? You can't handcuff several people to pipes in a small office.

Well, I just want more information on how criminals were dealt with on the real ship.

May 3, 2005
Which brings up another question. Was there anything like a "brig" on an ocean liner ?
Were the Master At Arms duties similar to those in the British Navy ?
In reference to the crew and passengers ?

capyb5

Dec 11, 2016
Brig as in a jail/prison? I believe the only "prison" there was on the Titanic was the Master at arms office, which wasn't really a prison at all. It was small and just the sleeping place for the master at arms officers themselves. I also came across another thread several years ago, where someone suggested that violent/deranged people may be brought to the ship's hospital to calm down.

But there wasn't really any official brig, as far as I know.

Master at arms kept law and order on the ship, controlled the passengers/crew, etc. especially dealing with bigger groups of people.

What I'm interested in is how they kept law and order on the ship, i.e: if someone commits a crime, what happens with them? Was handcuffing someone to something like a pipe really a possible method or was it just dreamed up by James Cameron to make his movie?

Hope my answer helped Robert, and any answers or suggestions to my curiosities welcome!!

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
In reply to my profile post: I know too well that the 1996 Miniseries is completely unreliable as a source. Saying that it is cluttered with goofs and inaccuracies is a big understatement. It's almost like "they just didn't care": they wanted to make a movie and placed it on the Titanic just to sell more copies, without doing a single bit of research. The very same thing applies for the 1953 Hollywood Production.

I came with the following idea myself, but there is a good chance that individual crimes like stealing were dealt with after arriving at the destination. The culprit would be taken by the Master-at-Arms and then be handed over to the police ashore.

Reactions: 1 user
May 3, 2005
My question would be "Would the culprits have been confined in or by any special space or means while on the ship before reaching the destination and then being handled over to the police ashore ? "

capyb5

Dec 11, 2016
Thank you for the info. Robert, that's essentially what I'm asking, only you phrased it in a more sophisticated way!

May 3, 2005
Thanks also to you capyb5.
I was just wondering if this came up very often and what they did with guilty persons in those cases ?
I have seen some reports of stowaways being put to work ?

May 3, 2005
In other words.....IF the ship didn't go down and IF Jack had lived, would he have been turned over to the NYPD IF the ship had arrived safely in NYC ?

Would Cal or the Master-At-Arms have been involved in the prosecution process ?

May 3, 2005
Well.....For goofs, the 1953 "Titanic" had a complete tailor shop, but no Molly Brown , Thomas Andrews or J. Bruce Ismay.

May 3, 2005
I remember an incident in San Diego where some sailors got Dishonorable Discharges and there were police cars from the San Diego PD waiting for them just outside the main gate.

May 3, 2005
One other question. Would the criminal's nationality be of any consequence ? What if they weren't Americans.? British, , Polish, etc. ?

May 3, 2005
I'm no Naval Expert. My only experiences were some Shore Patrol duties But fortunately for me they were very uneventful. No drunks, no fights, etc.

capyb5

Dec 11, 2016
Robert: I don't know what would've happened with Jack. I think that nothing would have happened because a ship just sank and I expect that people will need to recover.

One of the master at arms officers died in the disaster too.
I don't think nationality of great importance, though that's just my opinion.

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
In the 1997 film, Jack got arrested Sunday evening just before midnight. If the ship didn't sink, Rose would have 3 days to prove Jack innocent. It should be more than enough.

One option to deal with criminals is to lock them up in a vacant cabin. Plenty of those on the Titanic, she was only 2/3rd full. Just my own suggestion, I'm not sure at all if that's how it's done in real life.